Filed under Showcase, Sports

Swimming to Victory

The girls swim team captures third-straight GAC championship

The girls swim and dive team won their third consecutive GAC conference championship on Feb. 7.

submitted by LHS Swim

The girls swim team has had a fantastic year so far and as they entered GACs, they wanted to bring more wins to the table.

The Eagles won their third-consecutive conference championship at the Rec-Plex in St. Peters on Feb. 8. The team scored 453 points to finish ahead and outdistancing second place Fort Zumwalt West’s 389 points.  

Liberty had big performances from their 200 and 400 freestyle relays, as both finished first place.  The 200 freestyle relay is comprised of Hannah Kerr, Bennett Outman, Olivia Guffey and Hallie Anderson. Anna Decker, Caroline Myers, Kerr and Guffey made up the 400 relay team.

The 200 medley relay consisting of Anderson, Decker, Myers and Outman was third.

Liberty also had strong performances in their individual events. Anderson was second in the 100 breaststroke and Outman took fourth. Anderson also took second in the 100 butterfly. Myers placed second in the 100 backstroke and Decker was fourth in the event.

“We were really nervous last night because we had two girls out sick and a lot of freshmen, but we worked our butts off and it all paid off,” senior Outman said.

Kerr was second place with a personal best time in the 100 freestyle and she was third in the 50 freestyle. Myers finished second place in the 200 IM (individual medley.)

“Even though we have had a lot of sick girls out, this season has been awesome,” sophomore Anderson said. 

The people who qualify for state this year are the 400 free relay team, the 200 free relay team, Marjori Russo in the 100 meter free relay, Myers in the 200 meter IM and 100 meter backstroke, Kerr in the 100 meter freestyle, and Anderson in the 100 meter butterfly.

“The only thing we can do to prepare for state is to keep working on technique and diving,” Outman said. State is coming up fast on Feb. 15-16.

The team was able to sweep East and Washington last Monday with the leading score of 145. The girls also swept St. Dominic and Francis with the winning score being 123. But Liberty lost to Nerinx Hall, the score being 109-77.

“We performed pretty well, we just had a lot of girls out being sick,” coach Whitmore said.

The girls also took seventh at the Lindbergh Invitational and second against Timberland and Zumwalt South.

About the Writer
Chris Randolph, Reporter

Chris Randolph

Chris Randolph is a sophomore at Liberty High school. This is his first year participating in LHS publications.  Chris is in the band...