Filed under Features

Beating the Odds

Seniors Sara Borg and Dana Eplett were accepted into the 2018 Young Artists Showcase

submitted by Rachel Iseman
Dana Eplett’s drawing, “The Woman,” is a beautiful expression of her creativity.

The Young Artists Showcase is a very prestigious exhibition and it is a huge honor to be accepted. Out of 395 pieces of artwork that were submitted, only 125 were chosen.

Dana Eplett is in Miss Iseman’s Drawing class and Ms. Biere’s Sculpture 2 class, and Sara Borg is in Miss Iseman’s AP Studio Art and Drawing class. They are both extremely talented and dedicated artists, and have been making art for a while.

“Both Dana and Sara are amazing artists. They are hardworking and dedicated to perfecting their craft. They truly deserve the honor and recognition that comes with being in this show,” Miss Iseman said.

Eplett’s drawing is titled “The Woman.” She entered because she had always wanted to enter a contest with a piece of her artwork. Eplett actually drew the piece when she was a freshman, but brought it in for Iseman to look at. Iseman critiqued it, and Eplett used some supplies to clean it up and make it better. When she found out that she had been selected, Eplett said that she was pretty surprised.

“I didn’t believe that I would get in,” Eplett said.

Borg took a different approach with her piece, called “The Competition.” She made a watercolor painting of a horse, based off of a photograph that she took. Miss Iseman was a guide for Borg, telling her how to make it better. Since it was her photo, Borg didn’t have to worry about copyright issues, and could focus on making her painting as realistic as possible. She entered the competition to show off her artwork. Borg said that she was very excited when she found out that she had been accepted.

“It’s always fun to know that other people recognize my work,” Borg said.

If you would like to go see their artwork, and many others, the Showcase will open at the St. Louis Artists’ Guild on Thursday, March 8, with an opening reception from 5-8 p.m. It will run from March 8 to March 31.

submitted by Rachel Iseman
Sara Borg’s piece is called “The Competition.” She made a watercolor painting of a horse, based off of a photograph that she took.

About the Writer
Alyssa Place, Reporter

Alyssa Place is a freshman at Liberty High School, and her first year helping with LHS Publications. She enjoys doing gymnastics, dancing, and going to...