Behind the Board

A group of students represent the entire body in Liberty’s Student Advisory Board

Students sound their opinions on lunch, the parking lot and overcrowding in Liberty’s Student Advisory, which is comprised of 12 students that meet with district superintendent Dr. Cain.

The students who represent the student body in the advisory board include; freshmen Maven Giffin, Anna Decker, Braden Bond, sophomores Anakin McCormick, Ashley Russell, Nawal Cheema, juniors Marlee Doniff, Mykaela Reiland, Zachary Myers, seniors Danielle Kunz, Emily Morris and Austyn Kloth.

Students were selected with the intention to best represent the student body as possible. Acting as the voice of the student body, the Student Advisory Board meetings cover a variety of issues that affect the entire school and the possible solutions to those problems.

“We talk about lunches or the parking lot or what people consider problems at the school and how we can make them better and ways to improve the school overall,” sophomore Ashley Russell said.

One example of significant change from the board comes from the recent decision from the district to opt out of the National School Lunch Program after deliberations from the nutrition department and taking the opinions of students across the district in consideration.

However, as of recently, the Student Advisory Board touched on the February 27th lockdown, where both Liberty and Discovery Ridge were placed on lockdown for approximately four minutes after reports of an individual with a weapon near Liberty.

“He [Dr. Cain] actually talked to us last time about what we thought of the lock-in,” freshman Braden Bond said. “He was actually asking us how we felt and how safe we felt when we were in the school. We were telling him that we felt really safe actually, just everyone came in here, we saw cops all over, we felt secure.”

Even though they may represent the majority of student opinions within the student body, very few students are aware of the presence of a Student Advisory Board.

“I’d like more people to know about that [Student Advisory Board], nobody really knows what these meetings are about or that they’re even having meetings and they don’t recognize that Dr. Cain does all this work for all of us and no one just really notices,” Bond said.

Unnoticed or not, the Student Advisory Board is one of the most impactful tools that connects the district administrators with the students, built to better the learning environment at Liberty.