Career Leaders

Three Liberty and Lewis and Clark students compete in their specialty skills at state conference

Kristen Brent

Molly Smart, senior at Liberty, shows her knowledge in Collision Repair.

The Lewis and Clark Program is not only a great way for students to be hands on with possible career choices, but a great way to compete with other students around Missouri and show their skills. Liberty students will join 60 others who also attend the Lewis and Clark Career Center and will compete at the SkillsUSA Missouri State Leadership and Skills Conference. The competition took place in Linn, Missouri on April 5-7.

“I’ve done the Lewis and Clark Program for two years,” senior Molly Smart said. “I’m in two different programs for leadership.”

There are 178 students who attend Lewis and Clark and approximately 42 percent of their student body competed in district-level competitions. There were many different topics students could compete in. Students compete in a variety of technical, hands-on, written and oral competition that related to their programs they study at the Lewis and Clark Center.

“You basically go and compete in your program. I’ll do brick and stone,” senior Zachary Schwartz said. “I’ll go and take a test and there will be other people from around there also. We will compete with different skills.”

SkillsUSA is an organization that partners with students and teachers to create an industry of working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. SkillsUSA provides educational programs, events, and competitions to support career and technical education.

“The Liberty students, along with every other high school in the country, competed against other kids from other career centers in order to get to state,” said Andrew Stewart, director of the Lewis and Clark program.

Molly Smart took first in Collision Repair Tech Info, Zachary Schwartz took first in Masonry Tech Info and Austin Levitt too third in Quiz Bowl. Each Liberty winner who competed earned State Competitor level status.