Within These Halls

Student Council Election 2018 vote to take place this Friday

Maddie Baker

(left to right) Juniors Hunter Perkins and Marlee Doniff face off against Evan Sacks and Kara Collier in StuCo’s presidential election. Doniff and Sacks are running for president, while Perkins and Collier are running for Vice President.

A new era of student council leaders will begin Friday, April 13. Marlee Doniff and Hunter Perkins are running mates, as well as Evan Sacks and Kara Collier for the position of StuCo president and vice president.

Doniff and Sacks are both committed to the campaign and are excited for Friday’s election. Doniff has planned to run since she started StuCo in the fourth grade.

“It’s always been a lifelong dream of mine,” Doniff said.

Sacks on the other hand wants to continue on his family tradition as student council president.

“It’s a family thing,” Sacks said. “I want to make the school a better place.”

Vice president candidates took their time to explain why they want to run.

“I always knew I wanted to run for office,” Perkins said.

Perkins couldn’t be more proud to be a part of the team. Kara Collier originally didn’t plan to run for office, but when Sacks presented her with the opportunity, she just couldn’t say no.

“When Evan came to me I thought that it would be really fun,” Collier said.

Doniff and Perkins already have a plan of action for next year.

“We’re hoping to increase school spirit and start some new traditions,” Perkins said. “As well as continue on with some old [traditions],” Doniff said.

They hope for more communication between other clubs and organizations within the school to improve the community within Liberty’s walls. However, Sacks and Collier are more influenced by student culture.

“We’re looking for feedback from the students and staff,” Sacks said.

Improving communication between student council and the student body will hopefully improve school spirit.

“We want to be more inclusive and have more student drive within the school. StuCo shouldn’t be the only ones making important decisions,” Sacks said.

Voting will open this Friday during lunch. All students are eligible and encouraged to vote.  

J-Dubs in the Morning did their recent show on the elections and take a listen: https://lhstoday.org/7728/multimedia/j-dubs-in-the-morning-show-33/