Taco Frenzy

Owner of Yo Salsa food truck speaks to culinary III students

The owner of Yo Salsa Food Truck came to donate his time to teach culinary III students about the food truck business.

The owner of the Yo Salsa Food Truck came to speak to culinary III students about the food truck business on April 18.

After hearing the success the food truck had at Timberland from the FACS teacher Mrs. Boren, Ms. Pizzo had the idea and set it up for her students.

She also opened it up to teachers as well, marketing it one week in advance so that they had the chance to mentally prepare and save money.

“I think the staff loved having it offered to them for lunch,” Mrs. Pizzo said. “Mr. Lutgen promised me it would be prepared fast because he knew teachers only have so much to eat.”

Owner of food truck, John Lutgen came to donate his time to teach the students about this particular type of restaurant business.

The idea was for the students to learn the business and see the equipment inside the truck.

She uses this as a teaching tool for her upper level students.

Seven students participated including: Ben Leach, Kris Wilson-Smith, David Poteet, Gabbi Evans, Kelsey Fletcher, Sydney Umpenhour and Autumn Jones.

By coming to Liberty, it not only taught the students about this type of business but it also helped Mr. Lutgen market his business.

He was also able to look for students who may be interested in this in the future, and can work with him.

“I love the restaurant and want to encourage students in anyway that I can,” Mr. Lutgen said.

The students all really enjoyed this experience and learned a lot.

“It was a really fun experience and it was really good too,” junior Autumn Jones said.

Luckily, the Yo Salsa food truck will return next year so that more students have the opportunity to learn about this business.