Filed under Features, Showcase

Catching Another Scholarship

Senior Kale Catchings is awarded an academic scholarship

Senior+Kale+Catchings+is+awarded+Dr.+Darrell+%22Jack%22+Holley%2FMUSIC+Scholarship.+
Senior Kale Catchings is awarded Dr. Darrell

Senior Kale Catchings is awarded Dr. Darrell "Jack" Holley/MUSIC Scholarship.

Eric Mason

Eric Mason

As the end of the school year draws closer, seniors begin to say goodbye and prepare for the next few years of their life outside of Liberty. Some are going straight into a job, and some are going off to college or university to continue their education.

One student is Kale Catchings, who will be attending Harvard University in the fall for basketball and academics.

On Friday, May 4, Catchings was awarded the Dr. Darrell “Jack” Holley/Missouri United School Insurance Council (MUSIC) Scholarship for $2000. Catchings was unaware that he had received the scholarship, and was surprised by his family, the Liberty staff, MUSIC representatives, as well as Jack Holley himself, by the trophy case in Liberty’s main hallway.

MUSIC is a company that was started in 1983 by Jack Holley after insurance companies no longer covered schools. The company gives out six scholarships every year that are evenly divided between large, medium and small school districts to provide opportunities to students all over the state.

Catchings has always been recognized as a great basketball player. And now he is also being recognized as a student that has put in the work to succeed in academics.

“It really means a lot that I can be recognized for something outside of basketball. It’s definitely something special,” Catchings said.

Not only was the award special to Catchings, but also to his family.

“For me as a mother, it’s just a demonstration of all the hard work he’s put into everything. I could not be more proud,” Mrs. Catchings said.

The scholarship is also very competitive, and Catchings was one of 200 applicants, and one of six that received the scholarship. The company includes 471 school districts. That’s 90 percent of the schools in Missouri.

Catchings plans to use the scholarship money for his remaining tuition at Harvard, having already received a considerable scholarship from the school itself.

While the scholarship may have been a surprise for Catchings, it is no surprise as to why he received the scholarship. Liberty wishes him the best of luck in the future.

Meghan Coyle, Reporter
Meghan is a sophomore this year, going into her second year with publications. She is really excited to be a part of the yearbook staff this year and can’t wait to see what the year holds. She is on the varsity cheer team, and is involved with HOSA, ASC, and track. Outside of school, Meghan...
Eric Mason, Photo editor Talon yearbook
Eric is a junior at Liberty High School, this is his second year apart of publications. Over the summer, he went to the Herff Jones yearbook camp. In his free time Eric enjoys to play baseball and take pictures. Eric’s favorite baseball team is the St.Louis Cardinals and his favorite player is Yadier Molina. His...