Up On Top

Megan Maetten and Gillian Sanford receive the Distinguished Leader Award

Wentzville School District

Seniors Megan Maetten and Gillian Sanford both have received the Distinguished Student Leader Award.

McKenzie Bartels, Reporter

Seniors Megan Maetten and Gillian Sanford have received the Distinguished Student Leader Award from the Missouri Association of Student Councils (MASC) at the state convention at Lindbergh High School.

Teri Johnson, the Missouri Association of Student Councils director, was the one to give them the award. They were both recognized as Missouri students who demonstrate superior student council leadership skills and knowledge based on MASC criteria and evaluation procedures.

Every senior in student council that was at MASC Summer Leadership Workshop is eligible to apply. Four people from Liberty’s council applied, and two were chosen.

Maetten has been on student council for two years, and also participated in associate student council the two years prior.

Currently, she is in charge of the group’s public relations efforts. Her leadership extends to the Liberty varsity dance team, as well, serving as the squad’s captain.

In addition to dance, Maetten is a member of HOSA – Future Health Professionals, DECA, NHS, and senior class committee. She plans to attend the University of Missouri to study health science, with a pre-professional emphasis.

“It felt really rewarding being recognized for putting so much passion and hard work into student council,” Maetten said.

Sanford has been a part of Liberty’s student council for two years. Currently, she serves as treasurer. Sanford also serves as an officer for her senior class, on their senior class committee, and is a member of NHS as well. She plans to study health sciences at the University of Missouri.

“I was really excited when I got the award especially it being the award it was because I love STUCO so much and put a lot of work into it,” Sanford said.

Only two other students in Liberty’s past – Caylin Fuller and Katie Coyle – have received this award.

“I was really proud when I heard that they got this award. They definitely deserve it with how much time they put into student council on a daily basis,” student council advisor Ms. Holmes said.