End Of Season Victory

Winter Guard places first at championships

Allison Holtschlag, Reporter

Photo provided by KC Welch
Winter guard before heading down to awards at the MCCGA championships in Nixa, Mo.

For spring sports, the season just started but for winter guard, it just ended. Between having good and bad moments, the winter guard season ended strong.

“Being on the floor hearing we got first showed how far we have came,” sophomore Eric Welker said. Taking first place at the Mid Continent Color Guard Association (MCCGA) Championships at Nixa High School (Springfield, Mo.) with a score of 89.72, the guard moved up to a higher division.

The winning performance was “An Ode To Hollywood” which was making tribute to songs and from some of Hollywood’s movies and shows. The show included the songs “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from The Wizard of Oz, “When You Wish Upon A Star” from Pinocchio, “Diamonds Are A Girl’s Best Friend” by Marilyn Monroe, “Singing In The Rain” from the movie Singing In The Rain, “Putting On The Ritz” by Fred Astaire and “There’s No Business Like Show Business” by Ethel Merman. Using songs that people of many ages can know, got them even more involved with our performance.  

Throughout this season, many of the members have been able to come closer with one another.

“I was able to get closer with more people because it showed how hard we all were working for something this big,” freshman Kat Gniatkowski said.

With this win, I think more students and teachers will see that guard is a serious sport and encourage others to join.

— Kat Gniatkowski

Many of the members had no clue who any of the others were, but this season brought many people from different places together. Even though this season was huge for most, this was the third gold medal that the winter guard was received in the program’s history.

“This is definitely the largest guard we have had and also having the most success. The show was unique in the sense of all the songs played making it easy to be apart of weather you were performing or just watching,” senior Christian Tebeau said.

The season went through a lot of bumps and turns making them work even harder to get where they got. With the growth of the guard, the team hopes for more people to join next season.

“With this win, I think more students and teachers will see that guard is a serious sport and encourage others to join,” Gniatkowski said.

There is always room for new people whether you have experience or not. Fall tryouts start May 1-3 if you’re interested.