Service Is Out Of This World

Key Club attends the Mo-Ark District DCON in Springfield, Missouri.

Photo provided by Ms. Borders

Key Club celebrates its success at the District Leadership Conference March 14-16 in Springfield, Mo.

Sruthi Ramesh, Reporter

For many students, volunteering may be something that they do to put on a resume or just as a way to fill their time and get credit. But for Key Clubbers, it’s a way of life.

On March 14 at 8:15 a.m., the club’s cabinet got on a bus to ride all the way to Springfield, Mo. for a District Conference (DCON) of Key Clubbers from Missouri and Arkansas.

During their three day stay at the conference site, they attended competitions and forums about different topics that many key club chapters held. Competitions ranged from video contests and poster contests to public speaking and scrapbook making.

“It’s a place for people to go and be awarded and be recognized for their service and leadership,” said newly installed Builder’s Club liaison, Zach Pinkham. Builder’s Club is the middle school version of Key Club, a prelude to what is to come in high school.

Group hug during DCON

Key Club itself got many awards and recognition.

– Seniors Mikayla Bowman & Jen Deters won the Instagram contest

– Bowman and freshmen Sruthi Ramesh qualified for the MoArk Talent Show

– Deters was recognized as a distinguished secretary

– Senior Greta Rompel won second place for the T-shirt design

– Freshmen Christina Bertenshaw won third place In oratory contest

– Sophomore Ianne Salvosa & Sruthi Ramesh won first place for video contest

– Maddie Ashlock & Mahathi Manikanadan won second place for the poster contest 

– Chapter got second place in single service

– Chapter won publications award

– Greta Rompel won member of the year

“My most memorable moment was probably all the awards we took home.  We did so good,” Rompel said, a senior and the editor of Key Club this past year. “I’m so proud of all of you new officers.”

We also had many officers installed on the district level. Katie May was elected District 5 Lieutenant Governor. Aminhan Lobster was elected District Board Editor, after her past year of serving as the District 5 Lieutenant Governor. Finally, Mahathi Manikandan unexpectedly became the district treasurer.

“I didn’t know about it until we actually got to DCON,” Manikandan said. “And I thought, what do I have to lose by running? So I did.” And she clearly was successful.

Apart from all of the winning, there was a lot of bonding that went on between the cabinet. They got to meet other officers in the same position as them, and connect about their struggles and why they love Key Club as a whole.

“The three days together made us closer- like a family,” said freshmen Jaden Zelidon, the newly elected secretary.

Even the sponsors can agree with the newly elected officers and past officers can agree that DCON was a learning and bonding experience that was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity, due to its uniqueness and fun environment.

“You guys get to see that learning is fun, and learning is not just sitting in a classroom. It’s you experiencing the world and finding yourselves,” reminisced Mr. Barker, one of the sponsors. “This is my first year (of being a Key Club sponsor), but I’ve been to three DCON’s. I really enjoyed Key Club so I started to get more involved. And I love it.”