What’s the Hallway Fuss?

New Samsung televisions have been set up throughout the halls of Liberty

Fiona Flynn

New monitors display daily announcements, photographs and video content.

Fiona Flynn, Reporter

April 1 (April Fool’s Day) marked the first day back from spring break of 2019. As students returned to Liberty that morning, something in the halls caught their attention. And this was no joke.

Once where there were bulletin boards containing monthly information and upcoming events, but now Samsung monitors are attached to the walls.

The shiny new monitors you see positioned on the wall were actually a gift from the school’s senior committee put there for the purpose of reinvesting and giving back to the school. Their presence serves a greater purpose than just broadcasting the next baseball game.

“We wanted to help communication in the school as well as increase our technology, instead of using flyers,” Class of 2019 co-sponsor and history teacher, Mr. Schumacher said. “We wanted to help bring our school and district into the 21st century.” 

You may be wondering: Who exactly put this all together? To answer your question, the project idea was proposed by Liberty’s 2019 graduating class of seniors. After many brainstorming sessions and ideas, they decided on gifting the school with televisions.

With the help of administration, the tech department, maintenance, as well as Mr. Schumacher and Mr. Cole as heads of the senior committee to keep it all together, the project was launched. With money collected over the years, the biggest money maker for the project was prom.

The purpose of the monitors positioned just so is to keep students aware of upcoming school events or videos.

“You can expect to see announcements, videos, student made, possibly some from the film festival and possibly big events on television,” Schumacher said.

Many student were unaware as to why there were televisions on their school’s walls when they returned from their spring break vacation.

“My friend told me they were for photography,” said sophomore Sophia Ryan passing by in the hallway. “They can spread more information and broadcast your voice instead of using signs, because you’re not always looking at signs.”

The senior project has received a lot of positive feedback from students and will surely keep Liberty informed in the most modern way. We step further into the future once again.