A New Twist On The School Mascot

Students can try out to be the new mascot for next year

Olivia Holler

Mascot Braden McMakin learns that the missing costume has been replaced. File photo from 2017.

Caleb Woods, Online Editor

Mascots. The heart and soul of a sporting team. At the high school level it’s no different.

At Liberty, there’s a new sponsor in charge, varsity cheer coach, Ms. Hill.

“I think mascots are super important,” Hill said. “They help raise spirit and they can lighten up any mood.”

Next year, there will be two mascots. Eddie and Ellie. To distinguish between Eddie from Ellie, Eddie will wear a jersey and Ellie will wear a tutu and a bow.

Shae Bowsher
Eddie the Eagle will not be the only mascot next school year.

The mascot will be a part of the Liberty’s spirit squad. The spirit squad is consists of all the gameday spirit athletes such as the cheerleaders and the Liberty Belles.

You may be asking why is the mascot a part of gameday spirit athletes.

“It is a part of the athletics program,” assistant to athletic director, Mr. Eldredge, Ms. Wilke said. “To cheer our teams on.”

But how come Ms. Hill is the mascot sponsor?

“I’ve been wanting [to be the mascot sponsor] to do this for awhile,” Hill said. “Since we are a new school, we are still building traditions by having mascots that are super involved.”

Just like athletes, mascots should not tarnish the school’s reputation by putting on a bad image.

“Any sports team that has come to Liberty have compliment us on how kind we are,” Hill said. “I still want the mascot to be goofy and have that competitive head.”

If you want to be the mascot, it is open to all grades. You can pick up a tryout form from Ms. Hill in room 135 or in the activities office. Tryouts are June 3 at 10:30 a.m. at Liberty. Announcement who’s going to be the next mascot will be announced on Twitter on June 3 at 2:30 p.m. on Liberty’s cheer twitter (@LibertyCheer) or Liberty’s twitter (@WSDLibertyHS).

If you have any ideas on how to continue to revamp the mascot program, let Ms. Hill know in Room 135.