Perks Of Being A Senior

Seniors must have at minimum 20 credits in order to get late start or early release

Raelyn+Snow+walks+calmly+to+her+car%2C+knowing+she+wont+face+any+traffic+with+early+release.+

Brandon Hennis

Raelyn Snow walks calmly to her car, knowing she won’t face any traffic with early release.

Brandon Hennis, Reporter

Ah, senior year. For high school at least, it doesn’t get much better than that.

As you start your senior year, it’s almost as if you’re granted even more freedom than before during your school day. Whether it’s pulling up an hour later or skirting off an hour early, it’s undeniable that you experience a less stressful school year.

As long as you have 20 credits going into senior year, you will have the choice between a late start or an early release. Really, all it comes down to is what’s going to work for you and your schedule. 

Senior Julia Peterson, who is not a morning person, chose the late start option.

“Even though it’s only an hour, that hour makes my day 10 times better,” Peterson said. 

It’s not hard to believe the extra sleep puts people in a better mood. It sounds nice, but once you become a senior all you want is both options.  

Your decision here should really be based off your own daily life and what works for you. 

Senior Raelyn Snow works on weekdays and the early release is perfect and nice to have. Not to mention you don’t hit a lick of traffic. That’s what brings the harsh reality to this situation, picking between the two. 

If you’re a student that works on weekdays, it’s really hard to say no to the early release. 

“As nice as it would be to sleep in, I’d rather leave early to have more time before work,” Snow said. She also agreed the roads in the area are very clear at the time of release.

Regardless of which you choose, it will make your day so much easier. The best part is, virtually anyone can get it on their schedule. 

Guidance counselor Mr. Cunningham encouraged students to “just pass your classes, and really that’s it. Anyone can do it.”

The only thing you need to know is, have 20 credits by the start of senior year and you’ve got yourself a free hour. 

These are just one of the many options you have for your schedule senior year. There are a ton of different ways to go and there’s no time like the present to start looking at what’s best for you.