Don’t miss out

Students should participate in school activities and clubs

Jessica Gibson

You only get four years of high school, so make them memorable. Once you graduate you can’t go back to your freshman, sophomore, junior or senior years ever again.

Most people you ask will say they wish they would have done more in high school. I know that I’ve already missed out during freshman year.

There are so many clubs, activities and sports you can do at school. Pick one that you can relate to or enjoy doing. I tried out for volleyball freshman year because it’s a sport I thought I might enjoy and now it’s all I do. If you want to tryout for a sport, do it. The worse thing they can say is no.

Same goes for clubs. If there is a club you are thinking about joining, go for it! Don’t be scared of asking a teacher questions about it.

It’s the beginning of the year. This is the time to join activities. It’s a fresh start to the new school year, and a great time to begin new activities. Ask the teacher of a class you really enjoy if there are any clubs that can relate to the type of things you do in class. There are so many different clubs in the school and there’s bound to be one you would enjoy being in.

Clubs are great for college resumes, but also are great to improve your soft skills. Getting involved with clubs can improve your social skills, leadership, and you can make lifelong friends who share the same interests as you.

Colleges don’t only look for people with good grades, but they look for people who participate in school activities and clubs. If you want to become a lawyer, colleges may look to see if you did clubs relating to law like public speaking, debate and scholar bowl.

Clubs can also change your perspective of your future. You could change the career type you were pursuing by finding interest in another profession.

High school is a one-time thing. So is life. Don’t miss out on the opportunities you have now because they may never happen again.