Donated Shoes Pave The Way To Nationals

Girls on the varsity dance team are collecting 250 pairs of shoes per girl to get to Orlando

Leah Miget

Dance team captains Hailey Forck and Aimee Weber promote their shoe drive fundraiser to get the dance team to Nationals.

Leah Miget, Reporter

There’s a saying that goes, “Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” Well, if you give the dance team your new, used or gently worn shoes, they get a chance to conquer nationals in Orlando, Florida this year.

Last year, nationals were held at Disney. Even though they aren’t competing there this year, the girls are still going to Disney and Universal Studios while they are in Orlando.

The team needs to raise money for competition fees, nationals, costumes, etc. and they are doing this by collecting shoes from other students at Liberty. Each shoe donated gets the girls on the dance team a certain amount of money. To get all 10 girls to nationals, they need to collect 250 shoes per girl. That’s 2,500 shoes total. The fundraiser ends on Nov. 23.

There’s a bucket in the lobby right outside the office where students can drop off shoes whenever they want. Students who plan to attend the Holiday Bazaar on Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. can bring shoes they would like to donate to the bazaar for the dance team to collect. Students are also encouraged to ask friends and family to donate their shoes as well.

The captains of the dance team are seniors Aimee Weber and Hailey Forck. All the dancers are getting psyched for nationals and the team captains have some things to say about their last year with the team:

“I’m so excited to compete and dance with my girls at nationals since it’s my last time.”

– Hailey Forck

“My favorite part about the dance team is getting to do what I love with fourteen of my best friends. I’m most looking forward to getting the chance to dance on the nationals stage again and show everyone the hard work we have put in this season.”

– Aimee Weber