Be Uncomfortable

Varsity girls basketball team is off to their best start in program history

Toni+Patterson+takes+the+ball+down+the+court+against+Northwest.+Liberty+beat+Northwest+45-26+in+the+finals+to+win+first+place+in+the+holiday+tournament.+

Lauren Spakowski

Toni Patterson takes the ball down the court against Northwest. Liberty beat Northwest 45-26 in the finals to win first place in the holiday tournament.

Ally Schniepp, Sports Editor

The girls varsity basketball team started this season out stronger than ever before. Of the first 13 games, their current record is 9-4, with a first place tournament championship under their belt. Currently, the team is in the Warrenton tournament where they play tonight for third place against Gateway Legacy Christian Acade at 7 p.m. 

“The difference this year is we have seniors and even the girls who aren’t seniors have had varsity basketball experience,” coach Walterbach said. 

This season the team has five seniors (Mia VanPamel, Megan Kruse, Kaitlyn Hudson, Melanie Giljum, and Grace Watson) who have led their team to the record they have now. With great leaders comes a great season.

Lauren Spakowski
The Eagles won the holiday tournament they hosted in December.

“This season all of the basketball team is really close so I think that bond translates to the court, especially because we’re all returning players and have played with each other before. The chemistry we have is great this year and we really are playing five as one,” Kruse said.

At practice, each player gives 100 percent, whether that be in sprints, scrimmaging, or just shooting around, which is obviously paying off for them. 

“The most wins in school history is 13 and we’re at 9 right now,” Walterbach said. 

At this point last season, the team was at 6-7. Now, they have a winning record with an average of 45 points a game and a high of 67 points. 

They also won the championship at their holiday tournament they hosted in late December. The girls defeated Trinity, Rosati-Kain and Northwest Cedar Hill to win the title. 

“It felt pretty great winning the tournament especially since we haven’t won since my freshman year. Even though I was hurt for the last game, it still felt great being part of an amazing team,” Kruse said.

VanPamel leads the team in scoring with 11.9 points per game with a 36.2 shooting percentage from the 3-point line and Kruse has a 35.8 shooting percentage from the 3-point line. Giljum leads the team with 17 blocks so far this season, with junior Toni Patterson following with 11 blocks. 

In every play and every game they play, the mindset is to be uncomfortable and push the limits every second they’re out on the court.