New Rules, New Season

Eagles open their season with a convincing win against Warrenton

Senior+Jackson+Ward+%284%29+scores+a+touchdown+against+Warrenton+during+the+first+half.+Ward+scored+a+total+of+three+touchdowns+throughout+the+night.+

Jayce Haun

Senior Jackson Ward (4) scores a touchdown against Warrenton during the first half. Ward scored a total of three touchdowns throughout the night.

Katie Swanson, Talon Yearbook Co Editor-in-Chief

Even with the lack of students and family, the Liberty Eagles brought their A-game against the Warrenton Warriors Friday, with a 34-6 victory. 

With new mandates from the district, only immediate family members were allowed to attend, but that didn’t stop the motivation of the players, with Jackson Ward leading the way on offense with three touchdowns, while Blake Seaton and Jordan Smith both added one score each. 

Ward led the team with 88 rushing yards on 8 carries while Smith totaled 72 yards on 6 carries. David Richard caught 2 passes for 42 yards. 

Although Eagles had to get used to this new normal, they ended the first half with a score of 27-0. The team had an even stronger second half because the overall nerves of the team have settled and finished out the third quarter with their final touchdown.  

Our guys played hard and that’s what they’ve always done, but it was a little weird for the stands to be so quiet. In the second half when our sideline picked up, it was better.

— Coach McMillan

“We were unsure that we would get to play, but stepping on the field was initially anxious, after we got the jitters out, we did what we had to do to win” Seaton (12) said. 

At first, the players were unsure what would happen because they didn’t have the support of the student section that they’re used to. But the more they played, they quickly adjusted to the new change and played like nothing was different. 

“Our guys played hard and that’s what they’ve always done, but it was a little weird for the stands to be so quiet. In the second half when our sideline picked up, it was better,” Coach McMillan said.

The Eagles fulfilled everyone’s hopes of starting their season strong, and hope to continue that throughout the fall.

The Eagles play district rival Timberland this Friday. Timberland lost its opener to Fox, 35-14. 

Warrenton  0    0    0    6     6

Liberty         7   20   7     0    34

First Quarter
L: Jackson Ward 16 run (Cole Allen kick), 5:46

Second Quarter
L: Jackson Ward 7 run (kick failed), 9:03
L: Blake Seaton 1 run (pass failed), 7:25
L: Jordan Smith 22 run (Blake Seaton run), 3:44

Third Quarter
L: Jackson Ward 15 run (Cole Allen kick), 2:56

Fourth Quarter
W: Jordan Smith 4 run (kick failed), 3:05