Fans React To Taylor Swift’s New Album ‘Evermore’

Swift has released three albums in the past 14 months

Taylor Swift’s latest album “Evermore” was released on Dec. 11.

Kyndall Stubblefield, Reporter

Just in the past 14 months, Swift has released three fantastic new albums. The latest album is “evermore,” which she released on Dec. 11.

Sophomore Madalyn Breckenridge was as surprised as any Taylor Swift fan, with the release of a new album

“I was shocked because it feels like ‘folklore’ just came out, and she’s (also) in the process of re-recording her first five albums,” Breckenridge said. “The funny thing is, the day before she announced it, she tweeted a message with nine Christmas tree emojis, hinting at her ninth studio album… she is such a genius when it comes to dropping hints,” Breckenridge added.

“‘Folklore’ depicts a teenage love story where ‘Evermore’ is more of an adult closure. This album shows how she came out of her shell to go against what the media expected her to do.”

Folklore’ depicts a teenage love story where ‘Evermore’ is more of an adult closure. This album shows how she came out of her shell to go against what the media expected her to do.

— Madalyn Breckenridge

Swift has called her new album a “sister record” of her last album, “Folklore”. “Evermore” continues the aesthetic of storytelling and mythology through 15 enchanting songs. In this new set of stories, Swift introduces a new cast along with Betty, James, and Rebecca. 

In the perfect transition between the two albums, “Willow” sets a light and positive mood, introducing two lovesick characters constantly searching for each other. This song ties back to her other track “Invisible String” in “Folklore”. The lyric “One single thread of gold tied me to you” is a direct reference to the music video of “Willow” where Swift’s character follows a gold thread to her lover. 

In the following song, Swift creates an unexpected ending for two college lovers. “Champagne Problems” is a soft piano melody about broken hearts and a refused marriage proposal. One character brings a ring and the other brings an ending. 

In the fourth album track, Swift once again turns the tables with an emotionally capturing song that is clearly connected to the song “Dorothea”. “’Tis the Damn Season” references what happens when a girl returns from LA back to her hometown for the holidays while “Dorothea” is a song from the point of view of the lover she left behind. The person singing is talking about their lover who left town to become a Hollywood star and how “a tiny screen’s the only place I see you now”.

“No Body, No Crime” is the murder, mystery track everyone was waiting for. Swift sings about avenging the death of her friend Este who called her husband out for cheating and was killed. This song has a similar vibe to the twelfth song in “Folklore”, “Mad Woman.” 

“’Long Story Short’ has to be my favorite song in the album because it is more upbeat and reminds me of her ‘1989’ album,” Breckenridge said. “Long Story Short” is the twelfth song from her new album and is about finding peace and acceptance. 

Swift has definitely matured from her first album back in October 2006, and hopefully, the artist has more surprises in store.

“I have no idea what will come next,” Swift wrote in the album prologue. “I have no idea about a lot of things these days and so I’ve clung to the one thing that keeps me connected to all of you. That thing always has and always will be music. And may it continue, evermore.”