Baseball Returns After Missing 2020 Season

Players discuss their season outlook and getting back on the field

Despite+missing+last+years+high+school+season%2C+Victor+Quinn+%28left%29%2C+Jaxin+Osinski+and+many+of+their+teammates+have+kept+busy+with+their+sport+in+the+offseason.+

Aidan Summers, Sruthi Ramesh

Despite missing last year’s high school season, Victor Quinn (left), Jaxin Osinski and many of their teammates have kept busy with their sport in the offseason.

Kylie Dawn Beard, Reporter

Springtime is here and baseball is starting back up at Liberty High School. This is the first time spring sports will be able to be done since the 2018-2019 school year. During this time last year, due to COVID-19, schools were shut down, leaving spring sports to be canceled. Is there any way that this has impacted those who are playing for spring this year? Jaxin Osinski (12) and Victor Quinn (12), of the varsity baseball team, discussed how they felt about this season and their futures in baseball.

photo by Aiden Summers

Jaxin Osinski

Q: What are you specifically looking forward to this season?

A: “Playing with the great group of guys we have brought together this season but specifically the seniors. We have talked about us all playing together on varsity since middle school and the dream is becoming a reality. The goal is to make history and win a district championship.” 

Q: Has not having a 2020 season affected the performance of the players this season, overall?

A: “Not having a high school season in 2020 was a real bummer and cost our team from building a lot of chemistry. Although our whole team got to play this past summer so covid hasn’t affected our play at all.”

Q: How do you see yourself in the future, as far as baseball goes? Do you plan to try to make a career out of it?

A: “Baseball has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. Although, after my final year in high school, I am going to finally stop playing and focus on getting an education and building my future.”

Q: What do you love about baseball?

A: “I love the energy the game brings. There is nothing like going up to hit in a big game and to feel everything around you buzzing. I also love how it takes everyone for the team to be successful, you really got to trust the guy to your left and right to get the job done. This is what builds a brotherhood that lasts forever.”

photo by Aiden Summers

Victor Quinn

A: “I am looking forward to being back together with all my friends on the team, also have a winning and successful season.”

A: “Overall I do not think that missing the 2020 season will affect the team’s performance. Everyone on the team holds themselves accountable for getting better so with a combination of summer baseball and hard work through quarantine and the off-season I don’t think it will affect us.”

A: “In the future I see myself being a major pitcher at Oregon State, and later on after that becoming a major league player. It has always been my dream to become an MLB player that has a long successful career that has a lasting impact on the game and in the community.”

Q: What do you love about baseball?

A: “Some of the things I love about baseball is the amount of hard work you put in will show in the end, the constant competition, and the friendships I have made over the years.”

The hard work and determination of the LHS Varsity Baseball team is unbeatable and will make for a great season this spring.