Key to Success

Lukas Flacke receives full ride scholarship from Columbia College

Lukas+Flacke+was+surprised+while+in+class+as+he+was+presented+his+scholarship.+

Eric Mason

Lukas Flacke was surprised while in class as he was presented his scholarship.

Olivia Holler, Editor-in-Chief

What if getting everything you wanted was possible?  Senior Lukas Flacke got to know what that felt like.

He received a presidential scholarship that paid for his whole four years of college at Columbia College. He wants to major in biology and minor physiology.  Flacke was one of 10 people who received this scholarship from Columbia, a liberal arts and sciences school located in Columbia, Mo.

“We selected 10 people around the states and even internationally, 70-80 people compete. The top 10 we go to their school and get to surprise them with this huge check, take them off guard,” Bri Hickman, Columbia College Admissions Counselor said.

To apply for this  scholarship, you had  to have a certain GPA, letters of recommendation, personal essay, academic resume outlining their life story and what they have been involved in and then the students come to campus and interview with faculty members as well as write two essays.

Flacke had no idea he had won.  His mom and a few other people had to keep it a secret for a couple days.

A few people from Columbia College as well as his mom came to him during 7th hour Monday, Feb. 13 and surprised him with the check in front of Mr. Barker’s class. He was ecstatic.

photo by Eric Mason
Senior Caylin Fuller was very excited and happy for Lukas.

“I was surprised and very sweaty, and I almost cried,” Lukas said. “I knew when they walked in what it was for. Everything hit me at once I’m just really excited. I feel so lucky and beyond blessed. There were like 60 or so kids up for it and we were all equally as qualified so it really came down to the day of. I’m really happy that they chose me out of the  60.”

photo by Eric Mason
Lukas was interviewed by Columbia College after he received the check.
photo by Eric Mason
Lukas was ecstatic that he does not have to pay for college.

His friends, family and coaches were extremely proud and happy for his accomplishments.

“I always want to see my kids excel, and this is a big deal for him so it’s a big deal for me, ” Mr. Tutterow, track coach and teacher at Liberty said. “Lukas is a phenomenal kid. His character is tip top. He is a hard worker and has people skills. People respond to him in a positive way.”

Everyone was excited for Lukas and his accomplishments throughout high school and can’t wait to see what the future holds for him at Columbia College.  With hard work comes great things.

Save

Save

Save