Wentzville Lacrosse Set To Face Kirkwood In State Final

The team is preparing to battle in the culmination of their season

Light Scout Images

Defenseman Colby Adelsberger keeps possession of the ball in a game versus Francis Howell on April 26.

Gavin Block, Reporter

The Wentzville boys lacrosse team has advanced to the final of the MSLA Show-Me Cup Tournament against the Kirkwood Pioneers. The championship matchup will take place at Lindenwood University on Friday, May 27, at 5 p.m.

The club will cover the admission fee for the first 100 Wentzville students with an ID. A live broadcast of the game will also be streaming on Prepcasts.

The Wentzville squad entered the tournament as the No. 7 overall seed out of 12 total teams.

Their first confrontation was with Westminster, the No. 10 seed, on Monday, May 16. Wentzville came out on top with a convincing victory of 18-6. As a result, they then moved on to the quarterfinal stages. 

This time, they were put up against an imposing Lafayette side, who were the No. 2 seed and given a first-round bye in the competition. Wentzville managed to beat the odds and withstood the Lancers’ efforts on Thursday, May 19, winning with a final score of 15-7. This considerable upset was quite the morale booster for the Ville, and it increased their momentum going into the later phases of the cup.

Wentzville subsequently took on the No. 3 seeded Rockwood Summit lacrosse team in the state semifinal on Tuesday, May 24. In their previous match, the Summit Falcons had formidably defeated Parkway South by a score of 27-10. This did not faze the Wentzville club, however, as they completed yet another upset with a 16-10 triumph over Rockwood. This win placed them in the final versus Kirkwood, the tournament’s No. 1 seed.

Kirkwood also received a first-round bye due to their high ranking in the state. The Pioneers have proved victorious against the teams of Republic and Francis Howell in their road to the final.

About 15 of the Wentzville Lacrosse players (JV and varsity) are from Liberty. The Liberty seniors on the varsity squad include Colby Adelsberger, Nathan Hauk, Geoffrey Hudson and Brandon Kertz; the Show-Me Cup final will be their last game and mark the end of their high school lacrosse career along with the other seniors.