The student news site of Wentzville Liberty High School

Victory is Ours

Liberty wins first home game against St. Dominic

Every home game the football players run through a sign with the flags for school pride and spirit

Eric Mason

Eric Mason

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief of Magazine

There was a lot of excitement in the air for the Liberty Eagles home opener Friday.  After falling behind by two touchdowns early, the Eagles came back and took a dramatic 35-28 victory to improve to 1-2 on the season.

At first, St.Dominic (1-2) had a good start to the game. Chris Fleming scored midway to make it 14-0 on the first quarter.

It didn’t stop Liberty from trying their hardest to get back in the game.

The Eagles made a comeback second quarter. Wesley Hines and Ryan Bermudez scored on running plays in the quarter and the defense shutdown the Crusaders as both teams were tied at 14 at halftime.

The second half of the game was intense, the stands were getting loud-cheering on for the Eagles and motivating the players.

With three minutes left on the third quarter Liberty had yet made another touchdown as Donnie Arrington scored on a 4-yard run and Liberty led 20-14.

St. Dominic responded quickly with a touchdown leading up to the fourth quarter and took a 21-20 lead.

That didn’t intimidate the Eagles – it motivated them even more. Wesley Hines scored on an 85-yard kick return and Bermudez added another touchdown making it 35-28 Eagles. The defense made some big stops in the end to preserve the win.

The game was a huge accomplishment for the Eagles being their first win of the season. The student section was loud and proud. It was a victory for all of Liberty.

Eric Mason
After Liberty’s first varsity football win of the year, student Justin Holmes celebrates Liberty’s victory.

photo by Eric Mason
Ryan Bermudez runs with the ball down field. He scored the last touchdown to victory.

photo by Eric Mason
Ryan Bermudez and Tito Plaza ran down the field with American flag. It’s a tradition that the seniors have carried on.

Save

Save