Artsy Entrepreneurs

Twin sophomores at Liberty run their own small business and have fun doing it

Maddie Baker

The Meinhardt twins show off one of their slime creations.

Leah Miget, Reporter

Having a job is a big responsibility, no matter what age, type of job, or position you hold.  What’s even harder than working for someone else? The answer is working for yourself and being the boss of your own job.

Madelyn and Katelyn Meinhardt, twin sophomores at Liberty, have been making and selling slime since the beginning of February 2017.

In their words, “We saw it all over social media. It was just a really fun thing we could do and it gave us something to do over the summer too.”

They are strongly supported by their family in their slime endeavors.  

At first, their parents and sister didn’t think they could really make any money selling slime but the Meinhardt twins were determined to make it work.  Now that they have started selling slime at a steady rate, their family is all for it and gives them new ideas to try with their slime.

“Our mom, she ships the orders and takes them to the post office for us.  Our two other sisters help us by dealing with the money but they all help us come up with new ideas too and it’s a lot of fun to all work together,” the twins said.

The twins started their small business with their own money and continue to buy the materials on their own.  Since February, they have made 400 sales and they make around 20 sales and $100 to $300 a week.  Seven hours are dedicated to making, selling and advertising slime each week.

Sometimes they struggle balancing school with their job, but in the end, school gets priority over their job.  But that’s okay in this instance because they’re the bosses and can do what they want with their business.

Both girls work on making slime together, but each has a little more influence than the other on the different aspects of selling their slime.

Maddie works a little more on updating and editing their site on Etsy and Katie works a little more on the promotion of their slime using live videos and pictures on Instagram.

The slime is made up of glue, shaving cream, lotion, essential oils to make the slime smell good and a few other things.  One would go about buying slime from the Meinhardts by finding one of them at school and requesting their slime.  Once the Meinhardts know what their buyer wants, they can make the slime and their customer brings the money to school for the slime they requested.

The twins modify the slime for most individuals at school and make tubs of slime online have different colors, scents, consistency and different charms in each container of slime.  The charms are meant to go with the theme of the slime and are little plastic pieces like charms on a necklace or bracelet but they don’t have the loop at the top to attach them to the jewelry.

There are also different sized containers for the varying amounts of slime that can be bought.  The sizes of slime are 8 oz, 3 oz and 2 oz.

The price of an 8 oz container is $7-$9.  The price of a 3 oz container is $2-$3. The price of a 2 oz container is $1-$2. The price range for each size depends on color, scent, consistency and charms mixed into the slime.

The Meinhardts have made a commitment to this small enterprise and have had a lot of fun making and selling slime.  It took some effort and confidence to spend their own money on starter materials and help their small business take off.  They also take time to keep their site on etsy updated and their product in stock.  But, with a lot of effort, they make it work.