FCCLA to Compete in Nationals in Colorado

What FCCLA does for you and your community

Yudi Barcenas

Submitted by Ms. Pizzo

Three members of FCCLA – Ellen Crangle, Violet Grau, and Abigail Dickerson – qualified for nationals in Denver, Colorado this summer.

Henry Sartain, Reporter

A selected number of FCCLA students will be heading to nationals this summer.

Violet Grau, Abigail Dickerson and Ellen Crangle will represent LHS at nationals in Denver, Col. from July 2-6. The students will be a part of competitive events and one of those events is called “adaptive dance.”

Grau, Dickerson and Crangle made six videos of themselves dancing in order to help girls that are disabled learn how to dance. This year they had seven members go to state and now they have three going to nationals.

FCCLA stands for Family, Career and Community Leaders of America. The people who are a part of this organization work hard to give back to the community and try to help others in need.

FCCLA participates in many community events, especially at Liberty. At Christmas, they have an ugly sweater contest for the staff where the winner gets a prize. 

Sandy Pizzo is one of the sponsors of FCCLA. She works alongside Nicole McFadden to make sure the club is running smoothly. Ms. Pizzo has been a part of the club since the nine years she’s been here and Mrs. McFadden has been a part of it for six to seven years. Ms. Pizzo stated that this is an “enrichment” club. It is a great way to give back to the community for those who really need it.

While the teachers are in charge, they do have an elected president. The students vote for the person they feel would be a good leader. This year they selected Kiersyn Roberson. Roberson is a junior who became interested in the club during her freshman year. She discovered the club with her friend Sara Reth and they both decided to join the club last year. Roberson said that “it feels exciting” to be the club president in her second year of being a part of the club. She hopes to get more freshmen involved in the club and she hopes to get more involved in school activities.

FCCLA is great for people who care about their community and want to help. This club will allow you to help others who really need it and it will allow you to make a difference. For those who want to join a club where they can put a smile on other people’s faces, this is the club for you.