The Light of Day

Choirs performs their first concert of the year
Choir director Mr. Carter Datz conducts the chamber choir students during their performance of The Lamb by John Tavener. This was performed at the first choir concert of the year on Oct. 10 in the Liberty Performing Arts Center.
Choir director Mr. Carter Datz conducts the chamber choir students during their performance of ‘The Lamb’ by John Tavener. This was performed at the first choir concert of the year on Oct. 10 in the Liberty Performing Arts Center.
Anna Simms

With music ringing throughout the auditorium, many new and returning choir students joined together for “The Light of Day,” their first performance of the year. With three different choirs; concert choir, select treble and chamber choir, a total of 14 musical pieces were performed on Oct. 10 in the Liberty Performing Arts Center.

“When I looked at our fall music, I saw ‘light’ all over the place. Many songs spoke to the fact that there is a light that helps guide us through the dark moments in our lives,” said Mr. Datz. This is Datz’s third year teaching at Liberty and has arranged many different pieces of music including the viral, ‘It’s Corn!’ alongside musically directing the SLHSMTA nominated production of ‘Bright Star’ this past spring. “I wanted the audience to experience love, light, and hope throughout the night.”

“My favorite songs were ‘Jubilate Duo’ by Peter Angela and ‘Hark, I Hear the Harps Eternal’ arranged by Alice Parker,” senior Kennedy LeMaster said. LeMaster has been in choir all four years of high school, both in select treble for two years and is now in her second year of chamber choir. “I think this concert was more involved in many ways in contrast to previous ones. Choir feels like such a family this year and it is amazing.”

Choir feels like such a family this year and it is amazing.

— Kennedy LeMaster (12)

As with every school activity, seniors from the previous year leave and new freshmen come in to start their high school journey.

“I’m so excited to see what’s music Datz has in store for us later this year,” freshman Marley Higlen said. “After dancing last night, I can’t wait for the pop concert.” Higlen is a part of the select treble choir, which is an audition based concert composed of students ranging from freshmen to seniors.

If you would like to see the choir perform soon, the annual Festival of Choirs is being held at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 19 in the LHS gymnasium.