Freshman Runner Reflects on His First Season of Cross Country

Green finishes his season helping his team take the overall team conference title at the GAC meet
Noah Green moves past two runners during a night race at the Fort Zumwalt North twilight race on Sept. 1.
Sydney Davis

As a freshman and in his first season as a high school sports athlete, Noah Green has enjoyed his experience running cross country. 

“I think it’s pretty good. I like the team and the camaraderie on the team,” Green said.

Along with his teammates, recently won the GAC Conference title in the junior varsity division at McNair Park on Oct. 12. Green placed fourth for his team and 10th out of 183 runners in all of the GAC. He was the second freshman to finish the race. 

Green’s favorite part of cross country is traveling with his teammates to the different places where he has his meets because it builds team chemistry. He believes that team chemistry is one of the most important things that you can have on a team of any kind. 

His favorite race he has competed in this season was the Gans Creek meet in Columbia because of the amount of teams that were there and the competitiveness of the race.

Noah Green keeps pace in the JV race at Gans Creek in Columbia on Sept. 23. (Sydney Davis)

Green’s pre-race routine is to sit down somewhere quiet or sit on the bus and listen to one of his favorite artists, Rod Wave.

Green said his biggest role model is definitely his basketball coach. He says this because he’s taught him a lot about basketball, but also a lot about life. Green said that his basketball coach has played a big role in shaping not only the player he is on the court but also the young man he is today.

Coach Glavin says Green has brought a lot of energy to the team.

“He is fun to be around and knows when to work hard,” Glavin said. “As a freshman, he has been one of our top JV runners this year.  Noah also is a great teammate. It has been fun to see him become ‘one of the guys’ this year.

Green wanted to do cross country because he wanted to condition himself and prepare for the upcoming basketball season. When he is in the middle of a race, he thinks about the water at the finish line that he’ll be able to hydrate himself with after his races.

Green plans to play basketball in the winter as well and run track in the spring.

View Comments (1)

• M

maxwell | Oct 26, 2023 at 4:55 pm

do somthing about maxwellbarnett on this page of his cross country as a freshman

Reply