• May 7 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 2, Howell Central - 8
  • May 7 / Liberty High School - 0, Timberland - 3
  • May 7 / Boys Varsity VolleyballLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 6 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 6, North Point - 1
  • May 6 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 1, Zumwalt South - 2

The One Where Hearts Are Broken

Matthew Perry’s death and legacy showing us the accomplishments he left behind
A quote we should all live by. Thank you  for the advice, Matthew.
Lena Blankley
A quote we should all live by. Thank you for the advice, Matthew.

Matthew Perry. The name behind the names we all know and love. Unfortunately, none of us really knew the person behind the screen and the legacy he left behind. He made us cry, laugh, and smile. He left us episodes and episodes on how to be a good friend, movies about how to be a good person, and books about how your life can take a quick turn just like that. So let’s see what a life he left behind for us. 

The Passing 

On Oct. 28 we lost a legend. Not one who was a stud at baseball or football or one who sang like an angel, but one who made us realize what being a  true human was. Matthew Perry was found dead in a hot tub in his Pacific Palisades home. His cause of death is still under investigation. All we know is he was discovered underwater and unresponsive. Most speculate his addiction got the better of him this time, but only time will tell. After being rushed to the hospital, it was then declared that Matthew Perry was unfortunately dead. Tammayee Gogineni says, “I felt very heart broken and I felt like I lost one of my best sarcastic friends.” 

Early Life 

We first saw Perry on the big screen as a child actor with a small role in one episode of the television show, “240-Robert.” Next, we saw him in a bigger film being second to main character River Phoenix in the movie “A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon.” Then, he made his way into our hearts with his role as goofy Chandler Bing in “Friends,” giving sarcasm a new face. We saw him as a witty, funny, enduring, sweet, “transponster” who was always there when his friends needed him the most. Perry gave us all a lesson on how we need to treat others and be an amazing friend. Perry starred in more than 200 episodes and we still wish there were more to watch. Freshman Catalina Campos said, “My favorite ‘Friends’ episode is ‘The One With The Proposal’ because Chandler was the most vulnerable I’d ever seen him.” 

Where Matthew Perry got his start. Acting with his ‘Friends’. (Lexi Daniels)

The Struggles of an Actor 

Acting isn’t what we think it is. It’s not cupcakes and rainbows or high fives and fun times. Perry unfortunately learned this the hard way. Relating to his character Chandler who dealt with a smoking problem, Perry unfortunately dealt with an addiction problem as well. His addiction started with opioids following an accident in 1997. From the accident, he was prescribed painkillers which he then became addicted to. Perry explained at one point, his addiction became so bad he was taking 55 pills per day. Perry also said he went into rehab 15 times and had undergone no less than 14 surgeries to try and mitigate the damage he did to his stomach lining over the years with his alcohol and opioid abuse.  

Perry also stated how his “Friends” co-stars helped him through his addictions, stating, “They were understanding and patient.” Despite all the challenges he faced, Perry decided to share his journey with sobriety and addiction hoping it would help others dealing with the same problem. “I say in the book that if I die, it would shock people, but it wouldn’t surprise anybody,” he admits. Unfortunately, he died with this thought, not knowing what we really thought of him. He never gave in or gave up though. He had been clean for 18 months which included his appearance on the “Friends” reunion. “I’ve probably spent $9 million or something on trying to get sober,” he said. Perry showed strength and determination for himself and others that we will all remember. “When I die, I don’t want ‘Friends’ to be the first thing that’s mentioned,” he said. “I want the [helping other addict] to be the first thing that’s mentioned, and I’m going to live the rest of my life proving that.” 

That’s a Wrap 

Perry left us with so much to look back on and much too soon, with so much more he could have shared. He showed that even when you don’t think you have a chance, there’s always something you can do to show that you do. Perry said things when they needed to be said and showed actions that made him a true superhero for people. Perry once said, “I’ve had a lot of ups and downs in my life. I’m still working through it personally, but the best thing about me is that if an alcoholic or drug addict comes up to me and says, ‘Will you help me?’ I will always say, ‘Yes, I know how to do that. I will do that for you, even if I can’t always do it for myself!’ So I do that whenever I can. In groups, or one-on-one. 

And I created the Perry House in Malibu, a sober-living facility for men. I also wrote my play ‘The End of Longing,’ which is a personal message to the world, an exaggerated form of me as a drunk. I had something important to say to people like me, and to people who love people like me.

When I die, I know people will talk about ‘Friends,’ ‘Friends,’ ‘Friends,’ ‘Friends.’ And I’m glad of that, happy I’ve done some solid work as an actor, as well as given people multiple chances to make fun of my struggles on the world wide web… but when I die, as far as my so-called accomplishments go, it would be nice if ‘Friends’ were listed far behind the things I did to try to help other people. 

I know it won’t happen, but it would be nice.”

There will always be times where we remember the characters he played, but we should do what Matthew wanted. We should remember Matthew Perry, the man, as a hero who helped others.