Freshman Garrett Katz pushes Holt freshman Scott Riney while racing to the puck out of frame.
Anna Simms

Eagles Beat Holt on Senior Night

Senior night leaves another big win for the Eagles, putting them fourth in conference

One of the things hockey players look forward to most on their senior night is showing off their dedication and commitment the last four years.

Last night at the Eagles hockey game, our very own seniors were appreciated for the hard work throughout the season and years at Liberty.

All seniors which include, Zach Chandler, Luc Girard, Keaton Howarth, James Kemp, Cole McCune, Ally Schmelz, and Peyton Shreve got skate to their parents and pose for a picture to remember this moment.

Luc Girard enjoyed being able to take pictures with his family, coaches, and teammates on senior night.

“Taking the pictures with everyone,” Girard said. “It was the most fun part of the night.”

Senior Cole McCune (74) scored a hat trick to help lead the varsity hockey team \in a 4-1 victory over crosstown rival Holt.

“It was amazing,” McCune said. “Scoring a hat trick is always fun but on senior night it was extra special cause it’s for all the seniors.”

McCune broke a 1-1 tie in the second period when he scored an even strength goal at 10:50 on assists from sophomore Greyson Howarth (19) and senior Peyton Shreve (24). That gave the Eagles the lead for good and they didn’t look back.

Jude Bill (6) made it 3-1 with a late second period goal and then McCune added his third goal of the night in the third period.

Sophomore goaltender Cadean Eilerts (1) saved 20 of 21 shots in goal for the Eagles, who improved to 7-5-3 in the Saint Charles Conference, putting them fourth place in the division. They lead all WSD schools in the standings, with Timberland at 5-9-2 leaving them in fifth, and Holt at 8-16-3 in eighth.

The Eagles next game is against Fort Zumwalt West at 8:30 p.m. on Jan. 16 at the Wentzville Ice Arena. Admission is $5 per person.

Senior Cole McCune skates on the ice during the senior night game against Holt on Jan. 9. McCune would go on to score three goals, and leading the win for Liberty 4-1 against Holt. (Anna Simms)

LIBERTY 4, HOLT 1

Liberty 1 2 1 – 4

Holt 0 1 0 – 1

Scoring Summary

1st period 

L – Cole McCune, 9:46

2nd period

H – Scott Riney (Kell, Thompson), 1:30

L – Cole McCune (G. Howarth, Shreve), 10:50

L – Jude Bill (Kuhn), 13:07

3rd period

L – Cole McCune (Kempf), 14:02