Dreams Come True

Liberty seniors sign to play college sports on National Signing Day

From+left+to+right%3A+Seniors+Lucas+Mitchell%2C+Wesley+Hines%2C+Maya+Schnable+and+Claire+Roberts+gather+to+celebrate+the+start+of+their+college+sports+careers+on+National+Signing+Day%2C+Wednesday%2C+February+7th.+
From left to right: Seniors Lucas Mitchell, Wesley Hines, Maya Schnable and Claire Roberts gather to celebrate the start of their college sports careers on National Signing Day, Wednesday, February 7th.

Maddie Baker

Maddie Baker

Chasteanne Salvosa, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Four Liberty seniors celebrated a momentous occasion on National Signing Day with friends and family to mark the beginning of their college sports careers in Liberty Performing Arts Center during eighth hour on Wednesday, Feb. 7.

The athletes who participated in National Signing Day included Wesley Hines, football for Lindenwood University, Lucas Mitchell, soccer for Missouri S&T, Claire Roberts, soccer for Central Methodist University and Maya Schnable, golf for Truman State.

Smiles and applause was exchanged as each student was announced, snapping pictures with family as well as coaches. However, the excitement that filled the auditorium did not exceed the excitement of the athletes who sealed the dream of carrying their passion into college that afternoon.

“Playing college golf has always been the goal for me and to be given the opportunity to play on the next level is just a dream come true,” Schnable said.

And more dreams came true the following day, with Kaitlyn Theriot signing with Webster University for soccer, Bennett Williams signing with William Jewell College for soccer and Brandon Wortman signing with Avila University in Kansas City for football.