Newest Members of the Sugar Bears

Liberty dancers take dancing to the college level

Lexi Donato, Reporter

Nicole Casteel performs at the showcase in February.

Seeing her name as a finalist, Cheyenne Doss felt very excited.  But she wasn’t the only one.

“I feel like my family and friends were even more excited than I was,” Doss said.

Doss and Nicole Casteel recently made the Missouri State Sugar Bears dance team for next year.

The Missouri State Sugar Bears auditions were held in April 21 and 22. There were two clinics on April 8 and April 15, open to anyone who wanted to tryout for the dance team.

The two Liberty dancers decided to audition for the Missouri dance team and started with the clinics. They both practiced the dances taught at the clinics and had their dance teachers help them as well.

“It was pretty exciting and I was excited to come back the next day,” Casteel said about making the finalist list.

They both went against many others to get a spot on the dance team.

“It was pretty good,” Casteel said about the competition. “I didn’t really know how it’d turn out. Everyone was pretty high up with their skills.”

Doss explained how she felt about the competition. “I was nervous but it wasn’t two bad.”

There was however a big event that made a struggle for the dancers.

“It was more stressful because it was prom weekend and I was running around back and forth, driving four hours there and then back and then there again,” Doss said.  

Casteel and Doss will be competing and dancing at Missouri State athletic games.

“The football games and the basketball games, and then we go to nationals in Orlando Florida in January I think and compete there,” Casteel said.

They will also participate in competitions like the Missouri State Sugar Bears Invitational.

Both Caseel and Doss danced on the Liberty dance team, so how is it going be different dancing at Missouri State?

“I think it’s going to be different in a college setting and a lot more intense,” Casteel said.

Doss is looking forward to meeting new people. 

“I think it will be different because I don’t know these girls as well so I’m going to have to build those relationships again but I’m sure it will be just as great once I get to know everyone,” she said. 

As these two Liberty dancers move onto Missouri State, we wish them the best of luck.

Eric Mason
Cheyenne Doss has been a dancer for the Liberty Belles throughout her high school career. Doss and teammate Nicole Casteel have made the Missouri State dance team for next year.

Lexi Donato, Reporter

Lexi Donato is a freshman at Liberty. This is her first year being apart of the LHS Publications staff, and she hopes to continue with it throughout her...

Eric Mason, Photo editor Talon yearbook

Eric is a junior at Liberty High School, this is his second year apart of publications. Over the summer, he went to the Herff Jones yearbook camp. In...