Starting the Season Victorious

Girls cross country team wins meet in Jefferson City

Bridget Morris

Cross country’s varsity girls celebrate their first place victory on their first meet of the season.

Nick Howard, Reporter

On the first day of September, the start of the cross country season was a triumphant meet for Liberty.

At the Jim Marshall Cross Country Invite in Jefferson City, the varsity girls opened the season by winning first place as a team in the meet. The girls were led by freshman Ally Kruger who took first place in the 5k race as she won it 28 seconds ahead of the runner who finished second. With this being her first high school race, she surprised herself with the win.

“I was surprised to do so well early on and I hope to keep improving from this point,” Kruger said.

The rest of the varsity girls did well also to help Liberty place first in the 5k. Sophomore Hannah Rossman placed 10th overall in the race and she set a new personal record in the 5k during the meet. Senior Lanni Guffey, sophomores Olivia Guffey, Molly Morris, and junior Abby Woods also led the way to the team’s first place victory.

Coach Glavin is impressed with the way the girls opened up the season as they have big goals this season ahead of them.

“We want to win districts this season and getting first place on the first meet is a good first step to where we want to be,” Glavin said.

Although the varsity boys did not perform as well as they’d hope, junior Tyler Hudson medaled for the Eagles at the meet Although it isn’t his first medal, he’s happy to start off the season earning one on the same course they ran at districts last season.

“It’s a confidence booster towards the rest of the season as it felt really good to improve from districts last year on the same course,” Hudson said.

The JV runners did very good as well earning a lot of medals. For the girls side, freshman Megan Venturella took second place in the 3,200 meter race. The girls that earned a medal following behind her were freshmen Adrienne Rockette, Fiona Flynn and Emily Barnett. For the boys side, runners freshman Dylan Carlson and sophomore Evan Van Der Eems both earned a medal in their 3,200 meter race.

The runner of the week for the boys side was sophomore Braden Bond as he improved  his time from last year’s race by almost four minutes.

The next meet for the cross country team will be held tomorrow at the Forest Park XC Festival, which is one of the biggest cross country meets in the Midwest.