• February 14Boys and girls basketball games for Friday, Feb. 15 rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 20

Down To The Wire

Cross country team grabs many PRs at GACs; varsity girls lose to Timberland by 1 point

Adrienne Rockette and Megan Venturella compete at the conference meet at Washington.

Emily Barnett

Emily Barnett, Reporter

The cross country team set many PRs (personal records) on Thursday at the Gateway Athletic Conference meet at Washington High School on Thursday.

The varsity girls started the race by running in the top pack. One after the other the varsity girls finished in spots very close together. Ally Kruger finished first overall with a time of 19:29. Following Kruger, Abby Woods placed 8th, Lanni Guffey placed 12th, Hannah Rossman placed 13th and Molly Morris placed 14th. Freshman Adrienne Rockette and Megan Venturella ran side-by-side for the majority of the race and were short of medaling just by a few spots.

During the awards, tension built as the girls varsity winning team was announced. Very close to a win, the girls team lost to Timberland by one point.

On the JV girls side, Fiona Flynn medaled first, Lauren Spakowski medaled seventh, and Mia Eshoo medaled 9th overall. Daphne Garcia finished the race strong, and PR’d by two minutes.

“It was my first conference,” Garcia said. “It was hard, but fun.”

The boys varsity and junior varsity teams ran a strong races grabbing many PR’s as well. Tyler Hudson got all-conference for the second year in a row. In the JV race, Ethan Besowshek medaled 13 in the JV boys race.

“It wasn’t hard besides the hill,” Besowshek said. “It was tiring but I pushed through it so I was pretty happy.”

Overall, GACs was a testament to the hard work runners have put in over the season. 

Emily Barnett, Reporter

Emily Barnett is a freshman and is excited to start journalism and take part in  publications class. At school, she is involved in track and cross country...