• May 17 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 0, Howell - 15
  • May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2

Sorensen Becomes First Woman To Podium

Recap of the fourth event of the 2024 FD season

Formula Drift E-Town took place last weekend on June 20-22, and similarly to Atlanta, PROSPEC also took place. PROSPEC ended with Connor O’Sullivan at the top of the podium, Amanda Sorensen taking second, and Tommy Lemaire getting third. This marks Connor O’Sullivan’s first Formula DRIFT win and Amanda Sorensen’s first podium, which is also the first woman to ever place that high.

Connor O’Sullivan took first place during this event, which is his first win in Formula DRIFT. His biography on Formula DRIFT’s website says: “From an early age Connor O’Sullivan embraced all types of motorsports, he has always had an aggressive wide-open never lift style which served him well. After racing Motocross for a decade he transitioned to motorcycle stunt riding on dirt bikes, street bikes and Harley’s. His first exposure to Drifting was attending Formula Drift Atlanta 2021, he immediately refocused his primary commitment from motorcycles to drifting. Connor purchased a drift car and started competing in drift events right away throughout the east coast in 2021. Within one year from his first competition, he secured multiple podium finishes at Klutch Kickers events and earned his Formula Drift PROSPEC license. Since then, Connor established a cohesive team that developed a sustainable program with support of a multitude of sponsors and drifting mentors. Big changes were made this year in preparation for the 2024 Formula Drift season and O’Sully Racing is ready to compete in their second year of Formula Drift PROSPEC!”

If the name Sorensen sounds familiar, it’s because Branden Sorensen, Amanda Sorensen’s brother, placed third last event in Orlando, which was also his first podium. So the family has been on a roll lately! Amanda Sorensen’s biography on Formula DRIFT’s website says: “Amanda Sorensen is a social media influencer and racecar driver with a direct social reach of over 2.5 million fans. She is inspired by the chance to motivate young women to stay true to themselves, pursue their passions, and explore unconventional career paths. Sorensen got her start behind the wheel in go karts at the age of 6 and won her first championship at the age of 9. She switched to off-road competition at age 11 and won a pair of side-by-side titles by the time she was old enough to earn her driver’s license. She discovered drifting at age 16 and is currently competing in the Air Force ProSpec car in Formula Drift. She joined Ganassi Racing’s Extreme E effort at the start of the 2023 season. She has been invited to compete as a celebrity guest driver in Nitrocross, the Freedom 500, and Monster Jam.” If you want to read more about her and her brother, check out Amanda’s profile on Formula DRIFT’s website and my most recent story where I talked about Branden.

Unlike all the other events, no one caught fire! Which is pretty crazy to say. At each event this year, there’s been at least one driver to catch fire. Starting the list with James Deane in Long Beach, Odi Bakchis in Atlanta, and Ryan Litteral in Orlando. I’m just glad the streak was broken.

The next Formula DRIFT event will take place not too far from Liberty High School at Worldwide Technology Raceway. That event will take place on July 18-20 and will be the 5th event of the PRO season, and the 3rd event of the PROSPEC season. I will be attending that event so expect insider info for my next story. If you would like to purchase tickets and attend this event, you can purchase them here. But for those who can’t attend, tune in and watch on July 18-20 on Formula DRIFT’s YouTube page or on Motorsports.TV.