• May 16 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 0, St. Dominic - 1
  • May 15 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 4, Timberland - 1
  • May 13 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 12, Howell North - 2
  • May 13 / Girls Varsity SoccerLiberty High School - 3, Zumwalt West - 2
  • May 11 / Varsity BaseballLiberty High School - 1, Westminster - 5

Varsity Soccer Team Hopes to Continue Success Into the Postseason

Girls varsity soccer is continuing to put their foot on the pedal in high speed on the turf for their last few games of the season
Sydney Davis
Senior Lola Gianino dodges the soccer ball away from a Incarnate Word soccer defender.

The girls varsity soccer team is having a successful season this year with 14 wins and only five losses so far into the season. This is all accomplished through their hard work on and off the field while still having an abundance of fun.

“My favorite memory this season is bonding in the locker room before practice and games,” sophomore Ava Schmucker said.

These girls are making memories to remember for a lifetime and are making bonds with friends along the way of all age groups throughout the season.

“One of my favorite memories this season is probably senior night because everyone was excited, we were able to celebrate the seniors for their hard work throughout the years and it was a great night overall,” junior Natalie Zeman said. 

The future also looks bright for the girls soccer program as girls varsity head coach Kleekamp said they have “a strong freshman class.”

“We also have a big group of seniors who are a large part of our success. Our team likes to compete and they show it at both practices and games,” Kleekamp said.

Furthermore, they are planning to go as far as they can to the best of their abilities till the end of the season, which will hopefully guide them all the way to the championships.

“Going into our postseason, we need to keep playing with a fast speed of playing making other teams try to keep up with us,” Kleekamp said.

The team bonds on the bench during a soccer game on the Liberty soccer field. (Sydney Davis)

“Something that our team has that other teams don’t is our strong work ethic and passion about the sport,” sophomore Lexi Jones said.

However, these girls have something that other teams they are playing against don’t have, which makes them different then other teams.

“We all work as a team, and our attitudes are all positive. We connected very well since the beginning of the season,” freshman Sophie Means said.

Along with that, their first game of districts will be held on Monday, May 13 against Fort Zumwalt West and will be held at St. Dominic at 4 p.m..