Oncoming and Overcoming

Seniors discuss their future endeavors and greatest fears for college

Oncoming and Overcoming

Breaking the stigmatism of never being afraid of what people think has been Linnemeyer’s philosophy for high school and it’s enabled him to never be afraid to pursue the career path he’s on.

Alyssa Bailey

Alyssa Bailey

Alyssa Bailey

Alyssa Bailey, Reporter

It’s that time of the year again. Another end to another year. Another memorable senior send off into the new world of college. But that doesn’t stop the fear of leaving high school as it’s slowly creeping up. All seniors experience a form of uncertainty that ensues when they’re wrapping up their final goodbyes to a world they’ve lived in for four years. It’s bittersweet. Now, all they can do is look back on their memories that they’ve entrusted to Liberty High.

Senior Kirsten Lawson reflects on what college life will potentially look like and how that change differs from her high school experience, as a whole.  

“In high school, you don’t have to worry about picking a major. I’m just worried that after high school, I won’t know exactly what I want to do,” Lawson said. “But I’m not scared to go to college. I’m actually really excited for that change and I’ve already met people that are going to Mizzou.”

Alyssa Bailey
Kirsten Lawson had realized that there’s much more room to grow as a person and that it’s okay to not feel completely ready for choosing a college or a major.

Lawson will be attending University of Missouri-Columbia, commonly referred to as Mizzou, after graduating high school. It will be a new dynamic living on campus for her, especially with the fears of leaving her family behind.

“Mizzou is only an hour and a half away, so I’ll always be able to visit over weekends,” Lawson said.

Equally important, college is expensive and the supplies that are required to be successful in college are pricey, as well. Of course, there are options such as financial aid and the A+ program to help, but to what extent?

“I don’t want to waste money on classes that I don’t like. I mean, the A+ program really helps and makes me feel more stable about the money situation. This way, I can have a job and save up my money,” senior Courtney Harmon said.

These programs ensure that students will have stability and will feel less stressed about their college situations. Unlike most students, Harmon isn’t anxious about the application process and being in such a rush to submit them. Thus far, she’s planning on attending her two free years at St. Charles Community College (SCC) with the benefit of the A+ program. She’s still unsure where she wants to transfer after SCC but she’s planning on living at home with her father to which she’d much rather prefer. Her ultimate worry, though, would be leaving her father when she transfers colleges.

Alyssa Bailey
Courtney Harmon realized that she’d much rather have a job that she’s passionate about, and would motivate her to want to work.

“I don’t really have any fears relationship wise unless it’s leaving my dad. It’s nerve-racking to leave him because he’s my everything,” Harmon said.

The college experience differs for everyone and being able to have the independence through that exploration of life can be difficult, except for Paxton Linnemeyer.

“I feel like a lot of people are nervous to live away from home and go to another state for college, but I’m ready for it. I’m ready to go,” Linnemeyer said. “But my biggest fear is mainly not having a plan. I’m worried about not liking what I do but I’m also going into theater. I’m just mainly concerned if I like the program I’m in, not so much my major.”

However, there are different variations of theater that he can pursue. Linnemeyer is striving to attend Roosevelt University in Chicago after high school, and while many students are concerned about not keeping in touch with the friendships they’ve made, Paxton feels secure with his group of friends.

“I know that the relationships that I do have are pretty stable and it’s really just connecting and being able to communicate properly, which can be a big problem, in general,” Linnemeyer said. “I think that the people that I’m currently close with will most likely be the people I will continue to be close with. If not, that’s okay because life moves on.”

Throughout each of these students’ high school experiences, they’ve each learned lessons that have helped them thrive in their senior years and the start of their college lives. Lawson had realized that there’s much more room to grow as a person and that it’s okay to not feel completely ready for choosing a college or a major. Instead of wanting to chase after a job that’s very money-based, Harmon realized that she’d much rather have a job that she’s passionate about, and would motivate her to want to work. Breaking the stigmatism of never being afraid of what people think has been Linnemeyer’s philosophy for high school and it’s enabled him to never be afraid to pursue the career path he’s on. High school is about growing, learning, and finding your own way. Even though it’s hard sometimes, remember that these are the only four years of high school you have so make the best of them.

Alyssa Bailey, Assistant Editor-in-chief Ledger magazine

Alyssa is a junior this year and it’s her second year in publications. She’s very excited about this year and what’s to come for the Ledger. She’s...