Silent Killer

The impact of a deadly creek

Silent Killer

Coldwater Creek begins right next to St. Louis Lambert Airport and runs through the majority of North County outside of St. Louis, Mo.

Sophia Seger

Sophia Seger

Sophia Seger

Silent Killer, produced by freshmen Emily Barnett, Fiona Flynn, Michael Gannon and Sophia Seger discusses the concerns about radioactive waste contaminating Coldwater Creek located in the North St. Louis County cities of Florissant, Hazelwood, Ferguson and Black Jack. Many of these families acquired illnesses over the years and either struggle from being personally affected by the creek or suffer from the loss of a loved one. There is concern that not much is being done to resolve the issue despite the number of people in the community fighting to make a change.

Silent Killer tells the story of Michelle Seger through the eyes of her daughter Sophia Seger, a freshman at Liberty High School in Lake St. Louis and friend and Liberty teacher David Weis, who went to high school with Michelle.

Emily Barnett, Reporter

Emily Barnett is a freshman and is excited to start journalism and take part in  publications class. At school, she is involved in track and cross country...

Fiona Flynn, Reporter

This is Fiona’s freshman year and her first year in publications. She loves running cross country and plans on participating in track this coming spring....

Sophia Seger, Reporter

Sophia Seger is a freshman and this is her first year on the publications staff. Last year at Frontier Middle school, she participated in a writing club...

Michael Gannon, Reporter

Michael Gannon is a 13 turning 14 year old freshman. He enjoys the ARTS specifically theater and music and also writing. He has six siblings and five...

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Silent Killer”

1. Sherri Tyler on March 23rd, 2019 8:30 am

Great job! I love to listen to pod casts and this one was very well done and very interesting. My husband grew up close to cold water creek and we have heard a lot of these very terrible and sad stories.

2. Christina on April 1st, 2019 1:33 pm

This was a very good article and I am so proud that you guys want to help motivate ppl to take action and help other people is amazing

3. Mike Seger on April 2nd, 2019 12:05 pm

Great job! I know how difficult this subject is to talk about Sophie.
    Thank you to all involved in this podcast. It’s an important message to share!

4. echota on April 2nd, 2019 5:40 pm

All of you did a great job on this. It is such a difficult subject, especially when it is affecting you, personally. This was put together very well. I look forward to seeing your names in the future!

5. Laura Courtois Schroeder on April 3rd, 2019 12:11 am

Amazing job on such an important and impactful topic! You all should be so proud of all your hard work! Great quality questions and insightful answers! I am so inspired by my niece Sophie! You truly are following in your Mom’s footsteps. So brave!

6. kimberly kelsch on April 14th, 2019 1:48 pm

I grew up by coldwater creek. My oldest daughter has breast cancer. She is 39 years old. She also carries the mutated gene for ovarian cancer. No one else in my family has breast cancer. My kids grew up by the remediated park that we went to often in Hazelwood. We went there to play often. We lived in Hazelwood. I grew up in Florissant. My friend who is 54 was diagnosed on the same day as my daughter. She lived right across from the creek. My friend had a double mastectomy a couple of months ago. She is now going through chemotherapy. My daughter is done with chemotherapy and is scheduled for a double mastectomy on the 18th of April. Ths so sad that anyone has to go through all this. When it is your child you will cry at first and then get angry that our government hid all this.

• Silent Killer

Audio

Torn ACL #14

• Silent Killer

Audio

The Grind With Kate Benes

• Silent Killer

Audio

Torn ACL #13

• Silent Killer

Audio

The Music Around Us Podcast #3

• Silent Killer

Audio

Torn ACL #12

• Silent Killer

Audio

Inside My Life #2

• Silent Killer

Audio

Torn ACL #11

• Silent Killer

Audio

Two Peas in a Pod #1

• Silent Killer

Audio

The Music Around Us episode 2

• Silent Killer

A Stressed High Schooler

Sincerely, A Stressed High Schooler podcast 2

Silent Killer