Taking Advantage Of A Unique Opportunity

Olivia Guffey is accepted into the Missouri Scholars Academy this summer at Mizzou

photo provided by Wentzville School District

Sophomore Oliva Guffey is the only one from Liberty attending the Missouri Scholars Academy during the summer. “I am the only one from Liberty going to MSA this year, which means I will have to be ambitious, trying to make friends with anyone and everyone,” Guffey said.

Olivia Holler, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Sophomore Oliva Guffey is the only one from Liberty attending the Missouri Scholars Academy during the summer.

“I am the only one from Liberty going to MSA this year, which means I will have to be ambitious, trying to make friends with anyone and everyone,” Guffey said.

Guffey is one of the seven high school sophomores from the Wentzville School District to have been selected to participate in the Missouri Scholars Academy.  The program hosts 330 of the top, gifted incoming juniors in Missouri. It runs from June 9-29.

“When I found out that I was accepted I was very excited. I wanted to get in because it will offer an environment similar to college, as we’re living in dorms, and I will get to meet tons of new kids that I wouldn’t know otherwise,” Guffey said. “The classes that are offered there, you won’t find them in an ordinary high school or college program.”

It is a three week program at University of Missouri-Columbia – the curriculum is based around the liberal arts. The program aims to provide a model which gifted programs in other schools use to expand theirs.

“My main excitement is for the new people I will meet. I am also looking forward to being on Mizzou’s campus and getting to be a part of it for three weeks,“ Guffey said.

There were many rigorous steps the students did in order to get into the program. Guffey and other students had to take the ACT, IQ test, get recommendation letters and essays.

“I am thrilled she has the opportunity to attend Missouri Scholars Academy because she is going to have the opportunity to meet people from various backgrounds,” Horizons teacher Ms. Lewis said. “The professors there like to push students to analyze the world around them and to think deeply about the ‘why’ of life.  Olivia has the mindset to learn from different perspectives and take action to improve the world around her.”

Many of Guffey’s teachers are impressed with her work ethic and leadership skills that make her the perfect fit for this opportunity.

“I have always been impressed with how she continues to grind when her back is up against a wall or when things aren’t going perfect for her. She’s also a great, all around person,” Mr. Glavin said, who is Guffey’s track and cross country coach. “She is a phenomenal student, a good athlete, hard worker, a leader and has a great personality.”

Students that have gone to the program in the past have had good experiences with it.

“From what I’ve heard from two prior Missouri Scholars, Megan Kruse and Alexis Bentley, it is an awesome experience and continues to play a role in their lives,” Guffey said.

Kruse attended the program last year and had a great experience.

“Some advice I would give is to get out of your comfort zone. Take the classes you are interested in, instead of those you already know about. Also, talk to everyone,” Kruse said. “You will meet so many people through this program that will influence your life forever.”

Originally Missouri Scholars Academy was funded by the state, until 2018 requiring to pay a fee to go. WSD students received $500 each from the Wentzville School District Foundation and the rest was covered by the Booster Club.

“This means a lot me because it shows the priority of programs like these and that everyone cares about student’s opportunities here at Liberty,” Guffey said.