Speak Softly And Carry A Big Bat

Varsity baseball wins the GAC Central in addition to their great season

Speak Softly And Carry A Big Bat

Coach Clements talks to the team at the mound in a game against Hannibal. The Eagles won 13-3 on March 19.

Bri Corgan

Bri Corgan

Bri Corgan

Donny Robinson, Reporter

When it comes to winning, Liberty’s varsity baseball team knows everything about it. Now sitting at a record of 18-7, the team has been dominating competition scoring double digits in 10 games and have scored at least five runs or more in each of their wins. Their biggest win was against Washington with a score of 15-5.

The team has a total of 22 home runs, 163 RBIs and 186 runs. As for the players, Chase Krogman leads the team in home runs with 5 and in batting with a .370 Avg. In pitching, Chase Hoeber leads the Eagles with 60 strikeouts and a 6-1 win to loss record doing this all in 39.3 innings. To add to this Krogman has 0.00 ERA through 11.3 innings while the next best is Carter McCain with 30 innings and a 1.63 ERA. All of that great effort led to the team winning the GAC Central division title to show for it.

“I feel like we work good together,” Hoeber said. “Most of the team has been together all four years now so we all have fun together and are close.”

The team has definitely had some changes over the years and Hoeber knows the differences.

“We have a lot of seniors so we all have had experience now and we aren’t young anymore so everyone is always competing,” Hoeber said. 

Abby Jordan
Chase Hoeber runs home after a Brady Voss hit in a 13-3 win against Fort Zumwalt East on April 16.

Besides having success this year, the team also has a new coach. Their new coach is coach Clements who came from neighboring Holt High School, who was their JV baseball coach.

Coach Clements was happy to come to Liberty.

“I was extremely excited to coach the team this year,” Clements said. “With all of the offseason weight training and culture classes we had, the program developed a large amount of optimism and positive energy. This has carried over into our season and I believe the boys are having a great time on the team together. This all a testament to what the boys have created for themselves. This is their team, not mine.”

As for their overall performance, Clements is nothing but lucky to be around them.

“They have done a great job of building a positive culture that has resulted in them playing really good baseball and being good teammates toward one another. I am extremely privileged to get to spend everyday with these kids and am beyond proud to say I am their coach.”

The Eagles plan on taking their success into districts at Francis Howell this Tuesday, May 14 at 1:30 p.m. against the winner of Francis Howell Central vs. Fort Zumwalt West.

Donny Robinson, Reporter

Donny Robinson is a senior and is in journalism for his first time. He has written stories for the school website before taking journalism with his first...

Bri Corgan, Activity manager Talon yearbook

Bri Corgan is a junior and she has been in publications since freshman year. She is the yearbook activity manager and loves being a part of yearbook. Bri...

Abby Jordan, Reporter

Abby Jordan is an incoming sophomore who is excited to join the publications this year. At LHS this year, she is involved in ASC, The Nest, Key Club, HOSA...