Vital To Our Health

The 400 hallway shows Liberty’s nurses appreciation for everything they do

Tina Ebert

Marcey Watkins (right) and Bridget Thomason hold their baskets that the LHS staff presented to them, in appreciation of their work.

Sabryn Gibson, Reporter

This year, nurses everywhere have been challenged like never before. COVID-19 has changed everyone’s lives and nurses are no exception. Our nurses have been working twice as hard to make sure everyone is safe. On top of everything they already do, they now have to keep track of students and staff that have symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19.

The most consuming new piece of their job is contact tracing, identifying who has been around someone with COVID-19 and then taking the necessary precautions such as following up with quarantined students and notifying the St. Charles County Department of Health.

Our nurses Bridget Thomason and Marcey Watkins have been working non-stop this year, doing everything possible to keep students and staff safe. They are a very important factor to keeping our school running smoothly. Some of the staff wanted to show their appreciation and put together baskets for our nurses. 

“Some of us were talking about how hard Bridget and Marcey were working with COVID responsibilities on top of their normal duties,” Ms. Ebert, a speech and language pathologist at Liberty, said. “We started bouncing around ideas and then basically combined them all into a pampering basket, which they so deserved.” 

The students and staff’s support is needed during times like these. Thomason encourages everyone to be kind to those who have tested positive for COVID-19, and that it’s understandable to be worried about your safety. But we have to remember to be considerate.

“It truly makes me sad that some sick students are getting mean texts/calls if they are reporting students were a close contact to them,” Thomason expressed. “If 2020 has taught me anything, it is to be patient, be flexible and most importantly be kind.”