Hoop it Up and Dance it Out

Students express Liberty pride through various events on Red Night

The student section parts the Red Sea for Moses (Drew Schill) to walk up the middle.

Olivia Holler and Chasteanne Salvosa, Co-Editor- in-Chiefs

It was a Friday, everyone was already pumped and ready for the weekend. Students saw StuCo rehearsing in the hallway and ecstatic to beat Holt.

We had a fast past schedule which quickly led into the winter pep assembly. Students interacted in the assembly playing games like hungry hungry hippo and “pie in the face” to Mr. Nelson.

Each year the most spirited students get the recognition of spirit king and queen. This year the honor went to sophomores Megan Maetten and Philip Karre.

photo provided by Megan Maetten
Megan Maetten and Phillip Karre show off their spirit king and queen awards

“I was so excited to win spirit queen and I love dressing up for spirit weeks. They are one of my favorite things to do at Liberty and I’ve never once regretted dressing up,”  Maetten said. They both were thrilled.

“It felt great to win spirit king, every night I spent around 30 minutes to one hour going through all my stuff making sure I could throw together the best outfit the next day,” Philip Karre said.

From spirit king and queen, StuCo pulled off their annual dance. Since the theme of the dance was Disney, they decided to have a mix of Disney songs and some other music. StuCo members also dressed up as Disney characters. Students were awed by the silly moves of StuCo.

photo by Eric Mason
Taylor Stewart, Morgan Metcalf and Kathleen Bearry show off their moves at the Winter Dance pep assembly.
photo by Eric Mason
As the dance concludes StuCo wraps it up with a group hug. It was the seniors last StuCo group dance.

“People were cheering at the assembly, and very high in energy. It was very successful,” senior Erika Fulhorst said.

Red Night was a huge success later that night. The boys varsity basketball team kept up its winning ways with a 68-59 win against Holt High School.

Red Night was to support American Heart Association and Liberty raised about $2,000. Some clubs made cakes for the Cake Auction. Students came together to raise awareness and support for this cause.

“My favorite part of the game was the interactions made by the student section. I’m so excited for how far the crowd has come over the few years I’ve been at the school and I love how supportive and spirited everyone had become,” junior Makayla Braile said. “Not only are the students supportive of the team, but they also showed their support for Red Night as a whole.”

Students showed their spirit by engaging in the game and wearing red to support the American Heart Association.

photo by Eric Mason

The Winter Dance followed the game, they had black lights and a DJ.

More than 100 people attended the dance. It brought different groups together to dance around and enjoy themselves. It also gave some clubs and sports the opportunity to bond.

“It was really cool seeing the different groups of people interacting to have a good time. I liked being able to go to the dance right after the game to continue my night,” Makayla Braile said.

Students came to show their support and spirit throughout these events making Liberty stronger as a whole.  

photo provided by Trotter

Save