New High School Opens Its Doors To The Community

Principal Amanda Shelmire, North Point High School’s staff, and the Wentzville community gathered on Aug 5 for the school’s grand opening

Students, staff, and community members gathered at the newly built North Point High School building to celebrate its grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony on Aug. 5.

Dr. Amanda Shelmire, the building principal, was joined by her administrative staff and Superintendent Dr. Cain to officially welcome people and show off the facilities. The teachers and support staff are very excited and determined to build a welcoming and spirited community within the student body.

Dr. Cain explained: “It’s always a special opportunity to open a building. What it means for the school community is always very very special.” The superintendent also went on to say, “What I appreciate is that every building feels different because they are different, regardless of the brick and mortar and the commonality, they feel different. There’s a unique culture and feel.”

This is your building. If you’re a part of the first set of classes here, this is your building, you can set up the culture you want. Whatever you want it to be, you’re a part of that and we are open to that. Even though the classrooms have a lot of the same furniture, they’re set up differently. This is your building, you get to open it, it can be what you want it to be.

— Mr. Matteoni, North Point teacher

To Liberty students, the North Point campus might feel eerily familiar. The layout of the building is almost identical to the Liberty campus, but is flipped. Everything on the left of the hallways at Liberty is now on the left of the North Point building, and vice versa. But either way, all Wentzville students can be proud of the growing district and the new facilities for learning that are being made available to them.

For example, North Point will be the first to try out a new program, called “WIN”. This is a replacement for staggered
lunches, instead being a full hour for students to eat lunch, talk with teachers if needed, and meet up for clubs. This way, students who are busy after school (such as those with jobs, or athletes) can participate in clubs and get additional help in academics.

Social studies teacher Brittany Docket is very eager to be able to try out this new strategy.

“I think it will be great for students who can’t stay after school,” she said.