Our Future Eagles

Liberty students prepare preschoolers for kindergarten

The Eagle’s Nest flyer informs parents and students about the program.

Henry Sartain, Reporter

The Eagle’s Nest is Liberty High School’s child development program for preschoolers. The children who are a part of this are between the ages of 3 and 5. These classes are in the hands of juniors and seniors who want to follow a career involving children or education. The juniors, seniors and the children, who are enrolled, all learn from this program.

Nicole McFadden is the one who runs the program. She is a teacher at Liberty, teaching students about family and consumer sciences in room 323. McFadden says that this program is a perfect way for the preschoolers to understand how to act in class. She says that the program helps the little kids “get ready for kindergarten.”

While McFadden is in charge of the program, everything is done by the students. The students who help with this program work to improve their childcare skills. They work hard to make sure that the children will learn and grow. They come up with the lesson plans that the preschoolers will do in order to improve their skills. There are two separate teams who work on certain days. There is the Red team and the Blue team. That way the high schoolers aren’t overworked too much. Students go through many health checks as well to make sure that the children will be safe.

This entire program is a great way for the Liberty students to find out if they want to do this as a career. McFadden says that this will help them find out if they want to spend all those years working hard in order to help children with their education in the future. Cadence Mahoney, a high school student, says that she loves watching “the growth” of the children. She really wants to go into nursing in the future.

Classes are in session every Monday, Tuesday, and Friday from 8:15 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. Parents will have to pay a fee of $75 per semester, that way you can pay for the materials and snacks needed for the program. All the children who join this program must be potty trained and immunized to make sure they don’t get the other children sick. The people in charge will make sure that the classes will go smoothly.

If this program seems very interesting or if you want to follow a career with children and education, then this program would be perfect for you. McFadden is still looking for people to join the program. This would be a great way for you to understand how to deal with children and what teachers do everyday.