Liberty Wins Hoco Game Backed By a Sea of Red

The Eagles win their first home game of the season with a 49-22 victory against Fort Zumwalt East

Braden Altrup

Monica Reyes

Liberty’s student section was decked out in red for their homecoming game.

Meghan Lynch and Rylee Shipes

This year’s homecoming game was electric. The student section was a sea of red, everyone going all out for the big game. The crowd was buzzing with energy and excitement in Liberty’s convincing 49-22 win against Fort Zumwalt East. 

The Eagles jumped off to a quick start. In the first quarter, they came out flying with three touchdowns: two touchdowns were scored by junior Marquis Williams and one by junior Peyton Bertels. With the Eagles up by 21, the crowd was super pumped up. Many students expressed their enthusiasm regarding the red-out game.

“I love how it’s about the whole school coming together and doing a fun thing,” senior Amanda Speciale said. 

The atmosphere of the game was full of excitement and pride.

— Hayli Cranmer

The atmosphere of the game was full of excitement and pride. The second quarter only added to the enthusiasm being shown by the student section. People were ringing cowbells, spraying silly string, chanting, and dancing as junior James Ormsby scored another touchdown for the Eagles. All around were kids decked out with red face paint and glitter, having the time of their lives. The atmosphere was unlike any other game this year. By the end of the quarter, the score was 42-6.

During halftime, this year’s homecoming king and queen were announced: Seniors Ethan Weiler and Alexis Shuster. 

When asked how it felt to be crowned, Weiler said, “We did a lot of campaigning and it felt good for it to finally pay off.” Shuster added. “It felt great, it was amazing!”

As seniors, this year is their last LHS homecoming, and they couldn’t be more thrilled. 

“I’m super excited. It’s our senior year so it’s gonna be super fun.” Shuster said.

As the game continued, the Eagles steadily maintained the lead, working hard throughout the entire third quarter. The student section was having a blast supporting their Eagles with school spirit, and they only got more excited as Marquise Williams scored his third touchdown of the game during the last 30 seconds of the quarter. 

Freshman Hayli Cranmer says, “The atmosphere of the game was full of excitement and pride.” 

During the final quarter of the game, the East Lions scored two more touchdowns, but the Eagles still came out on top. The whole school was celebrating their first home game victory, cheers and laughter filling the air as the football team walked off the field, having just as much fun as their supporters.

The 2022 homecoming game was a truly incredible experience for everyone. The student section really brought their A-game for the red out and it was a great homecoming experience for everyone. This will be a game that surely no one will forget.