State Bound: Girls Wrestling State Qualifiers

Four girl wrestlers qualify for state, making it the most in school history

Parker Sethaler and Tyson Mills

State wrestlers after qualifying at the district meet: Maddy Kuhn (top left), Elektra Lowe (top right), Caroline Ward (bottom left), and Lillia Clay (bottom right).

via @LadiesWrestle on Twitter

Lilly Brown, Reporter

For the first time in school history, four girls made wrestling state. These girls are Lillia Clay (12), Maddy Kuhn (11), Elektra Lowe (12), and Caroline Ward (12). 

These athletes will wrestle their way at state on Feb. 22 at Mizzou. This is a huge accomplishment as it takes a lot of work and dedication to make it to state.

“I pushed myself past every limit I had. I communicated with coaches on what to improve on. I made sure my practices were hard so the tournaments and districts were easy,” Clay said.

These girls each have a goal for themselves and are working hard towards accomplishing this.

Lowe said her goal is, “To place and get a rematch with the three-time state champion.” 

Kuhn doesn’t have any expectations and just wants to try her best at state.

Ward has been waiting for this opportunity all season long. “My goal is take it home, I’ve been looking forward to this moment all year and nothing can stop me,” Ward said.

Three of the four girls are seniors, so this is their last year in wrestling. They have many memories from this sport and hopefully will be making more at state.

This season is also the most amount of girl wrestlers Liberty has ever seen. The team had nine girls, meaning almost half the team made it to state.

“I worked my hardest at practice knowing everyone else wanted the same thing,” Kuhn said. 

Lowe was set back this season as she was injured. However, she still made it for state after working hard. 

“When I was injured, I would still do conditioning and running to stay in shape for when I got cleared,” Lowe explained.

Kuhn was the only junior to make it and looked up to one of her teammates all season. She states, “My biggest inspiration is Caroline Ward because she is always working her hardest to be the best she can.” 

Clay told how this year was extra special for her. “My sophomore year I was quarantined the week of districts, so I was unable to qualify, and my junior year I was injured, so this was something huge for me.”

Ward has her last state this year and has exciting stuff in the works. She continued, “I’ve been talking to some of the top programs in the country and my college goal is to make the Olympic team, hopefully medaling.”

Liberty wishes luck to these girls and hope they reach their goals and hopefully place at state.

State Wrestlers: