Rhett Cunningham: A Student’s Legacy

An astounding student leader shares his experience at Liberty

Sydney Davis

Rhett Cunningham speaks at the LHS Town Hall before it airs live.

Cade Goins, Reporter

Rhett Cunningham: a name known by many students and teachers at Liberty. Spending all four years at Liberty, Cunningham is near the conclusion of his senior year, and he has done a multitude of things to make the school that much better for his peers and the students to come.

When Cunningham first came to Liberty as a freshman, it was difficult to know what to expect, but he was able to find his place in the theater department with much of his publicity coming from the “Cinderella” production in the fall. Cunningham joined the program and was immediately able to find a leadership position even as an underclassman. His past experience and innate learning ability allowed him to help make so many adjustments and improvements to the production.

Cunningham has made such an impression on the teachers and peers close to him that he’s been able to help build a stronger community.

When Rhett came into the program, he taught me a lot more than I was able to teach him. I gave him the torch and he ran further with it than we could have ever expected.

— Mr. Eversole

“He always comes in so enthusiastic and with an energy that gets things done. His smile helps bring all of us up and into the working mood,” theater supervisor Eversole said.

Ms. Gehrke continues the praise by saying, “Rhett has been an absolute blessing. The ways he has contributed to the program goes above and beyond.” Gehrke also remarked about how Cunningham had co-hosted a theater workshop with her to teach other people how to better their programs and give new creative ideas for what is possible. Because of Cunningham’s dedication and amazing work ethic and drive, the theater program at Liberty has drastically improved and will continue to be an amazing program. However, another notable result from Cunningham’s performances is that he has been the recipient of awards, including the Thespian Tech Scholarship.

Theater is not the only location where Cunningham has excelled, he is also a great contribution and leader in both Publications and the Student Council. The president of StuCo, Aidan Berry, commends Cunningham’s efforts around the school.

“Rhett is just a big help to all events, it’s just like he knows what to do and is able to help get everything into place,” Berry said. “Rhett tried to be in StuCo before but couldn’t because of Publications, but this is his first full year and he’s such a great part of the team it’s impossible to not appreciate him.”

Cunningham has been so apt at his area of expertise that he is in charge of many events around the school such as Mr. LHS, sound head at school dances, and even being the Vice President of the Class of 2023. “His connections with publications have been great too, we’re able to let a lot more students know what we’re doing with the publicity,” Berry continued. “Rhett’s the man.”

Cunningham has also made bounds of achievement within the Publications staff, being a part of the group for all four years and in many places too including Journalism, Yearbook and Online News. He has lead the yearbook staff into getting state and national awards as well as placing as a finalist for the Pacemaker award, an equivalent for the Pulitzer Prize on a high school level. This is one of the highest honors in writing. He is also an editor for social media as well as being an executive for Town Hall. Town Hall a 100% student-led event that allows future WSD candidates to show why they should be elected to the school board.

Rhett Cunningham and Alix Queen run club photo day while wearing matching ‘YBK’ vests. (Jonathan Hall)

“The way he’s able to get stuff done but still be able to relax and laugh with friends, making us laugh too with his jokes, makes Rhett one of the greatest friends you can have; the way he’s able to tell when something is important to and help support is such a great gift,” a peer on Cunningham’s team commends. Many students across all groups Cunningham is involved in share this sentiment when asked, and they’re thankful for such an amazing leader, but an even better friend. Cunningham has been such a devout part of the community he’s built. Many are bittersweet that he has made it to his senior year, and only has two months left.

When Cunningham was asked about how he became such a leader, he responded, “I saw a spot that needed to be filled and I took it, but being a leader is not just that easy. A leader is not just someone that can get up there and tell people what to do, but it’s about knowing who you’re working with, what people are capable of. Being able to adapt is one of the most important parts of leading for me; I use different words when leading theater than a Student Council project; it’s how you make sure work is done, but still ensure everyone is having at least a good time.”

One thing Cunningham claimed during his freshman year is that, “I’d rather have Bs or Cs on an assignment than miss something that I really wanted to experience… I’m not here to get a higher GPA, I’m here to make memories.” When asked if he still stands by this, Cunningham replies, “Absolutely. I don’t regret a thing I did because there were times that I was behind on assignments so I could make sure that the experience for everyone involved in what I was doing was magnificent.” 

Many students and Cunningham’s peers have looked up to this great leader of a student and seen what’s possible. The inspiration the Cunningham has managed to give others will live on, and in turn, those students will inspire the ones below them. As much as it is sorrow filled to see Cunningham go, every student’s graduation approaches. A legacy is what Rhett Cunningham leaves behind at Liberty when he graduates, but this does not mean someone has to be “the next Rhett.” However, there is certainty that Liberty is able to come together and say, “Thank you, Rhett, for all you’ve done. We love you.”