Weighed Down

Backpacks are too heavy for students

Kendall Asberry visits her locker frequently so she does not have to carry everything in her backpack.

KaMera Harper, Reporter

Students are constantly carrying their backpacks around in school and most do not even use their lockers. Along with that weight, students may have textbooks or an extra bag for sports. Backpacks could be too heavy for students which could lead to future back issues.

School nurses, Ms. Thomason and Ms. Cunningham recommend that students should use their locker more, talk to a teacher or use online books instead of textbooks. Many students decide not to use their locker because there is not enough time and AP students have the difficulty of carrying around large textbooks. Most of the time there isn’t even a textbook online.

Mr. Peggs believes that backpacks are too big and can be an issue.

“They’re huge because students aren’t going to their lockers,” Peggs said. Peggs also believes students should incorporate online books or try to create less space in their backpack.

If Mr. Peggs could design an improved backpack, he would include space for a Chromebook with a built-in case.  

Freshman Nila Sasi agrees that backpack weight is an issue.

“Yeah, it hurts my back,” Sasi said. If Sasi could get rid of anything in her backpack, it would definitely be her Chromebook because it takes up most of the weight.

Everyone does not believe backpacks are an issue. Some students even sit in class with their backpacks still on their back.

Sophomore Sam Scognamiglio does not feel backpacks are a problem at all.

“No, my backpack does not bother me,” Scognamiglio said. If Scognamiglio could design any kind of backpack, he would include hovering straps.

Sophomore Kendall Asberry also does not believe that backpack weight is an issue. Asberry visits her locker frequently so she does not have to carry everything around all day.  She mentions that if she could design a newly improved backpack, she would have the backpack distribute weight evenly so all the weight is not in the shoulders.

There is no doubt that each student and staff has their own perspective on backpacks. Overall, students should try using their lockers more if their backpack is an issue. Students could also try finding a comfortable backpack that is more suitable for them. Additionally, students and staff may use their new backpack design ideas to actually create a brilliant backpack.