Eagles Off to a Red-Hot Start

Both varsity football and soccer escape heat with big wins in season openers
Junior quarterback Cody McMullen (#10) looks for a receiver during the second quarter of the first game of the season on Aug. 25 against Timberland. McMullen accounted for four touchdowns in the game.
Anna Simms
Junior Riley DeCaro (#4) cools down on the bench after playing in the first quarter.

As fall sports teams dealt with the scorching temperatures this week, there was question whether or not the Friday night start to the sports season would even take place this week. 

However, it was announced on Thursday that the much-anticipated season openers for the soccer and football teams would be delayed until later in the evening Friday night to avoid the triple-digit heat of the day, but that adjustment didn’t seem to bother the Eagles at all. 

In varsity football, the Eagles traveled across town to Timberland in front of a big crowd for both schools. Liberty’s offense erupted for 21 unanswered points in the second half while the defense kept the Wolves off the scoreboard. The Eagles celebrated with a 37-19 and for the first time since 2019 – and second time in school history – defeated Timberland in a varsity football game.

Meanwhile, back at Liberty, the boys soccer team blanked Mehlville 1-0 with a late second-half goal by Turner Lively. 

Junior Riley DeCaro (#4) cools down on the bench after playing in the first quarter. (Anna Simms)
Varsity Football

Quarterback Cody McMullen threw four touchdown passes and the Eagles scored on some big scoring plays to surprise the Wolves on their hometurf. 

The Eagles struck first in the opening quarter when Marquis Williams, who led the team with 130 rushing yards, scored on a 14-yard touchdown completion from McMullen. After a successful 2-point conversion, the Eagles took an 8-0 lead. 

Timberland’s offense woke up in the second quarter and would score three of the next four touchdowns to take a 19-16 lead at halftime. 

However, it would be all Liberty in the second half. The Eagles took the lead for good at 23-19 when senior Kaden Abe caught a 9-yard TD pass with 6:41 left in the third. Austin Steenbeke broke loose for a 73-yard score in the fourth and Matt Manocchio caught a 5-yard touchdown with just 4 minutes left in the game. 

Liberty hits the road again on Friday to play Holt. 

Rivals Liberty and Timberland battle it out in the season-opening game for both teams. (Parker Sethaler)
Senior Brady Freeman (#7) slides under a defender hoping to gain possession of the ball.
Varsity Soccer

After a scoreless match for most of the night, Turner Lively got his team on the scoreboard with a goal towards the end of the second half and that’s all the offense they needed as the Eagles took a 1-0 victory over Mehlville. 

With 16 minutes to go in the match, the Eagles capitalized on an offensive break as Lively tapped in a nice pass from Jackson Rocco. Rocco was about 20 yards from the goal when he sent a pass across the field to Lively who was in the right place and finished the score. 

Aidan Brown made four saves in goal and notched the shutout. 

Liberty hosts Chaminade on Tuesday at 6 p.m. 

Senior Brady Freeman (#7) slides under a defender hoping to gain possession of the ball. (Sydney Davis)