Winning Streak

The Liberty freshman girls volleyball team is off to a killer start

The+Liberty+girls+freshman+volleyball+team+celebrates+their+victory+against+Washington+High+School.+

Meghan Coyle

The Liberty girls freshman volleyball team celebrates their victory against Washington High School.

Meghan Coyle, Reporter

The freshman girls volleyball team at Liberty is nearly unstoppable. From August 22nd to September 23rd, the team has only lost one game. Their current record for the season is 17-1-1. The team attributes their success to having a good relationship and always working hard.

“We have 12 individual girls that each bring the skill set we need,” coach Theresa Gault said.

As typical as that sounds, it is true. The team is like a family; they eat together before the games, sit together after the games, and are cheering constantly on the sidelines during the games.

“I love my team,” Alexia Manocchio said. “We spend everyday together and help each other feel better. It’s what family does.”

Other girls on the team agree that being close with each other has aided their success.

“We don’t have any drama,” Ella Albrecht added.

One thing about the volleyball team is that many of the players have played club volleyball before, for some of them many years. Having club players on the team does give them advantage over teams with girls who have never played before.

“Playing club prepares you for the intensity and shows the competitiveness of the sport,” Rose Holben said.

Facing the end of the season, the team plans to continue what they’re doing now; they will continue working as hard as they can and supporting each other.

Julia Fallert hopes to play volleyball all four years of high school.

“We’re hoping to carry on the legacy,” she said.