A Better Life

Student Maria Adams opens up about her culture

submitted by Maria Adams

Maria Adams and her brother Daniel at their grandparents’ house in Russia.

Brooke Huffman, Reporter

Have you ever felt like an outsider looking in? For freshman Maria Adams, it’s always been that way.

Growing up Russian has impacted her life, making her childhood very different from that of other kids.

“I grew up eating different foods from my friends, celebrating different holidays than my friends. My family just grew up having different traditions,” Adams said.

In 2002, Maria’s mom Alina Adams moved from Moscow, Russia to St. Louis, Missouri, doing so in hopes of a better life and more opportunities.

After moving across the Pacific, Alina was forced to renew her medical degree, and learn the United States’ policies on driving.

Due to the rocky history between the United States and Russia, Adams feels uncomfortable talking about her country with other people.

“Some people hate me for no reason other than that I’m Russian,” Adams admits.

She visits Russia every summer to see her family, and has picked up the language over time.

When asked about Trump’s comments on immigration, she had this to say.

“It’s stupid, because people should be able to come to the U.S. for a better life. I hope someday everyone will have the opportunity that my mom had to immigrate to the U.S.”

Although being a Russian immigrant has presented many challenges, Alina and Maria are happy with their lives in the U.S.

“The United State is a great place to raise a family, and I am lucky to get to pass on my Russian culture to my kids,” Alina says.