LHS Honors its Veterans

NHS and photography classes recognized military members on Veterans Day
The+National+Honors+Society+created+a+photo+wall+of+people+who+served+in+the+military.+Students+uploaded+photos+and+then+NHS+printed+and+displayed+them.+National+Honor+Society+would+like+to+recognize+the+tremendous+sacrifices+that+our+Veterans+have+made+in+service+to+our+nation%2C+NHS+sponsor+Mrs.+Gerringer+said.+++
Ellie Simon
The National Honors Society created a photo wall of people who served in the military. Students uploaded photos and then NHS printed and displayed them. “National Honor Society would like to recognize the tremendous sacrifices that our Veterans have made in service to our nation,” NHS sponsor Mrs. Gerringer said.

Veterans Day is a federal holiday in the United States on Nov. 11 to honor military veterans. This special day helps focus attention on the important purpose of Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

Classes and clubs at Liberty participated in recognizing our veterans.

“This year we are making cards for the veterans and any member in National Honor Society is involved,” NHS sponsor Mr. Evans said. 

NHS created a photo wall in front of the school that honored veterans from the school community. Former students, teachers and students’ family members who served were all represented.

Photography teacher Mr. Purvis and his students created a photo slideshow that was broadcast on TVs in the school.

Principal Mr. Nelson is one of our veterans. He served in the Army and was stationed in Germany in 1988.

The photography classes paid tribute to veterans by making a slideshow that was displayed on TVs throughout the school. (Charlize Rossow)

“I loved being in Germany, it’s pretty cool,” Nelson said. “I got to go to Germany in 1988. I was on the East German side. And then I was there when the (Berlin) Wall came down. I was on the tank there, so I was in Desert Shield and Desert Storm.”

Nelson also realizes how history was being made when he was there.

“Essentially, history was literally changing and I was there and it was cool.”

Nelson has some great advice for anyone who is planning on going into the military in the future.

“I would say that you really want to do it because well, it’s not very easy and there’s a lot of suffering involved,” he said.  

Veterans Day is a special day, especially important to people who have served. So thank you to all who have served. We appreciate you deeply.